The Columbus East Site in Columbus, Ohio, was remediated under the Formerly Utilized Sites Remedial Action Program (FUSRAP). FUSRAP was established in 1974 to remediate sites where radioactive contamination remained from Manhattan Project and early U.S. Atomic Energy Commission operations.
At the Columbus East Site, B & T Metals heated and extruded uranium metal into fuel rods for the Manhattan Engineer District. This process contaminated building surfaces, drains, equipment, exterior soils, and manholes in nearby streets.
Contamination was removed from the site after extrusion activities ceased in 1943. DOE conducted additional remediation of contaminated areas under FUSRAP in 1996. DOE certified that applicable cleanup criteria had been achieved and the site was released for unrestricted use in 2001. Responsibility for the site was transferred from DOE’s Office of Environmental Management to its Office of Legacy Management (LM) in 2004.
No supplemental limits or institutional controls are in effect at the privately-owned site and DOE does not require on-site monitoring or surveillance. LM’s long-term stewardship responsibilities consist of managing FUSRAP site records and responding to stakeholder inquiries.
For more information about the Columbus East FUSRAP Site, view the fact sheet.