These resources offer helpful information about structuring sound ESPC projects with sustained savings.
U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Indefinite-Delivery, Indefinite-Quantity (IDIQ) ESPC Master Contract and Modifications
- 2017 DOE IDIQ ESPC Generic Contract
- 2008 DOE IDIQ ESPC Generic Contract
- 2008 DOE IDIQ ESPC Contract Modifications (001-008)
FEMP Services and Primary Activities During ESPC Project Development Process
- ESPC Project Development Resource Guide: Guide charts the ESPC process for providing project development support to agencies developing ESPC projects using the DOE IDIQ ESPC.
Frequently Asked Questions and Best Practices
- Federal Energy Savings Performance Contracts Frequently Asked Questions on the Scope of 42 U.S.C. § 8287 et seq.: Provides clarification and guidance on issues commonly raised regarding the scope of the ESPC statutory authority.
- Frequently Asked Questions about ESPC Strategy: Answers commonly asked questions regarding ESPC strategy
- Best Practices and Lessons Learned for Federal Agency FEMP ESPC Projects: Shares agency experiences with ESPC projects
- Best Practices for ESPC Portfolio Review: Outlines a systematic approach to evaluating the performance of an agency’s ESPC portfolio as a whole or individual projects within the portfolio.
Savings Allowed to Fund Payments
- Practical Guide to Savings and Payments in FEMP ESPC Task Orders: Details acceptable savings for funding ESPC payments to the contractor
- Guidance on New Construction under an Energy Savings Performance Contract: Discusses when new construction may be included in an ESPC
- Guidance on the Statutory Definition of Energy/Water Conservation Measures (ECMs) for ESPCs, and Determining Life Cycle Cost-Effectiveness for ESPCs with Multiple or Single ECMs: Clarifies how an ESPC can consist of a single ECM (such as a combined heat and power plant)
- Potential for the Use of Energy Savings Performance Contracts to Reduce Energy Consumption and Provide Energy and Cost Savings in Non-Building Applications: Provides information on the use of energy savings performance contracts in non-building applications
Phase 1: Acquisition Planning
Documents, templates, and guidance for phase 1 of the ESPC process.
- Best Practices and Lessons Learned for Federal Agency ESPC Projects: See sections 1-3: Introduction, General Best Practices, and Acquisition Planning.
- Interagency Agreement for U.S. Department of Energy Project Facilitator Support Form: Form for engaging the services of a FEMP project facilitator
- FEMP Suggested ESPC Milestone Plan: Excel tool and example of an ESPC project milestone plan
- Tri-Party Agreement for Energy Savings Performance Contracts: Template for ESPC project responsibilities at DOE sites/facilities
Preliminary Planning for Specialized Energy Conservation Measures
- Renewable Energy Screening for ESPCs: Outlines process and data needed for screening advanced technology projects
- Water Project Screening Tool: Excel file enables federal agencies to quickly screen sites for water-efficiency opportunities
- Including Retro-Commissioning in Federal Energy Savings Performance Contracts: Describes the benefits of and process for conducting retro-commissioning
- Example Retro-Commissioning Statement of Work to Include Services as Part of an ESPC Investment-Grade Audit: Offers a sample statement of work to include retro-commissioning in the ESPC
Phase 2: Energy Service Company Selection and Preliminary Assessment, Project Risk and Responsibility
Documents, templates, and guidance for phase 2 of the ESPC process.
- Best Practices and Lessons Learned for Federal Agency ESPC Projects: See sections 4-5: Energy Service Company (ESCO) Selection and Preliminary Assessment.
Notice of Opportunity
- ESCO Selector Tool: Online tool agencies can use to develop a notice of opportunity (NOO) and NOO response evaluation forms.
- Past Performance Questionnaire: Attachment to the Notice of Opportunity. Form is for agencies to request feedback from ESCOs' past customers.
- Guidance for Using ESCO Oral Presentations in ESPC Source Selection: Guidance for agencies allowing ESCOs to make presentations or attend agency meetings as part of a second down-selection
- Letter to Successful Company: Template for agency letter informing an ESCO that it was selected for a project
- Letter to Unsuccessful Company: Template for agency letter informing an ESCO that it was not selected for a project
- Agenda: Preliminary Assessment Kickoff Meeting: Standard agenda for the preliminary assessment (PA) kickoff meeting
- Agenda: Preliminary Assessment Development Teleconference: Standard agenda for the teleconference to discuss the in-progress PA
- 2008 DOE IDIQ ESPC Preliminary Assessment Template: Sample PA template to be used for a 2008 DOE IDIQ ESPC project
- 2008 DOE IDIQ Preliminary Assessment Review for Federal ESPCs: Worksheet template for agency PA review
- eProject Builder: Excel-based tool for producing ESPC task order schedules
Project Risk and Responsibility
- 2008 DOE IDIQ ESPC Risk, Responsibility, and Performance Matrix
- 2008 Recognizing and Assigning ESPC Risks and Responsibilities Using the Risk, Responsibility, and Performance Matrix: Explains how task order terms allocate ESPC risks and responsibilities
- 2017 DOE IDIQ ESPC Risk, Responsibility, and Performance Matrix
- 2017 Recognizing and Assigning ESPC Risks and Responsibilities Using the Risk, Responsibility, and Performance Matrix: Explains how task order terms allocate ESPC risks and responsibilities
Notice of Intent to Award
- 2008 DOE IDIQ Notice of Intent to Award Letter: Template for the agency letter notifying an ESCO of its intent to award it an ESPC
Phase 3: Project Development Through Task Order Award Resources
Documents, templates, and guidance for phase 3 of the ESPC process.
- Best Practices and Lessons Learned for Federal Agency ESPC Projects: See sections 8-9: Review of the IGA/Proposal and Critical Outcomes of Review.
Establishing Escalation Rates for Financed Projects
- Energy Escalation Rate Calculator (EERC)
- Escalation Rates in Energy Savings Performance Contracts
- Analysis of Water Rate Escalations Across the United States
- Energy Price Indices and Discount Factors for Life-Cycle Cost Analysis 2016: Annual Supplement to NIST Handbook 135
Task Order Request for Proposal
- 2008 DOE IDIQ DOE ESPC Task Order Request for Proposal (TO-RFP) Template: Template to facilitate the project facilitator's drafting of and the agency's finalizing of the TO-RFP
- 2017 DOE IDIQ DOE ESPC Task Order Request for Proposal (TO-RFP) Template: Template to facilitate the project facilitator's drafting of and the agency's finalizing of the TO-RFP
Investment-Grade Audit Process
- Investment-Grade Audit Kickoff Meeting Agenda: Standard agenda for investment-grade audit (IGA) kickoff meeting
- Agenda: Investment-Grade Audit Midpoint Review Meeting: Standard agenda for an IGA midpoint review meeting
- Agenda: Investment-Grade Audit Review Workshop: Standard agenda for the IGA review workshop
- Investment-Grade Audit: Review Checklist: Checklist for reviewing an IGA
- ESPC Project Review Comment Template: Template for documenting the project facilitator (or other’s) review of the PA, IGA, commissioning plan, and other ESCO deliverables
Proposal Review: Task Order Financial Schedules
- 2008 DOE IDIQ Task Order Financial Schedules (IDIQ Attachment J-6): Required format
- Descriptions of 2008 DOE IDIQ Task Order Schedules and Placement of Pricing Information (IDIQ Attachment J-5): Required format
- Guidance on Alternative Contract Language Regarding Energy Savings Performance Contract Terminations and Cancellations
- eProject Builder: Excel-based tool for producing ESPC task order schedules
Proposal Review: Pricing
- Determining Price Reasonableness in Federal ESPCs: Guidance and recommended process for determining fair and reasonable pricing of ESPCs
- 2008 DOE IDIQ ESPC Task Order Price Evaluation Worksheet: Suggested price review topics
Proposal Review: Financing
- Investor Deal Summary (IDIQ Attachment J-11): Required format for summarizing an investor or ESCO's deal in an ESPC
- Standard Financing Offer (IDIQ Attachment J-12): Required format for an ESCO financing offer
- Review of ESPC Financing: Form for documenting review of project financing
- Guidance Regarding Refinancing, Restructuring, or Modifying Loan Agreements Entered into by an Energy Services Company Under a Federal Energy Savings Performance Contract: Guidance on refinancing ESPCs
Task Order Award
- DOE FEMP Procedure for Notifying Congress Prior to Award of ESPCs: Process and guidance
- 2008 DOE IDIQ Sample Deliverable for Task Orders: Pre-award ESPC deliverables sample
- Best Practices and Lessons Learned for Federal Agency ESPC Projects: See section 10: Final Negotiations and Task Order Award.
Phase 4: Implementation, Construction, and Project Acceptance
Documents, templates, and guidance for phase 4 of the ESPC process.
- Construction Kickoff Meeting Agenda: Standard agenda for the construction kickoff meeting
- 2008 DOE IDIQ Post-Award Deliverables Sample: Example of a post-award deliverable list
- 2008 DOE IDIQ Planning and Reporting for Operations and Maintenance in Federal ESPCs: Process and guidance
- 2008 DOE IDIQ Guidelines, Checklist, and Contract Clauses for Government Acceptance of DOE ESPC Projects: Process and guidance for agency acceptance of completed construction
- 2008 DOE IDIQ ESPC Commissioning Guidance: Process and guidance
Phase 5: Performance Period
Documents, templates, and guidance for phase 5 of the ESPC process.
- Best Practices and Lessons Learned for Federal Agency ESPC Projects: See section 11: Measurement and Verification.
- ESPC Best Practices from Life of Contract Field Reviews: Offers FEMP experience with the life-of-contract process
- 2008 DOE IDIQ ESPC Life of Contract Plan Template: Process and guidance on ESPC administration in performance period
Measurement and Verification
M&V Process and Guidelines
- M&V Guidelines: Measurement and Verification for Performance-Based Contracts (Version 4.0): Process and guidance
- Guide to Government Witnessing and Review of Measurement and Verification Activities: Process and guidance
- How to Determine and Verify Operations and Maintenance Savings in Energy Savings Performance Contracts: Process and guidance
- 2008 DOE IDIQ Example Measurement and Verification Plan for an ESPC Project: Sample contract document
- 2008 DOE IDIQ Measurement and Verification Plan and Savings Calculations Methods Outline (IDIQ Attachment J-8): Required format
- 2017 DOE IDIQ Measurement and Verification Plan and Savings Calculation Methods Outline (IDIQ Attachment J-8): Required format
- Guidance on Utility Rate Estimations and Weather Normalization in an ESPC: Shows how estimated energy rates and normalized weather data are used in calculating savings.
- Reviewing Measurement and Verification Plans for Federal ESPC Projects: Process and guidance
M&V Post-Installation and Performance Period
- 2008 DOE IDIQ Post-Installation Report Outline (IDIQ Attachment J-9): Required format for post-installation M&V report
- 2017 DOE IDIQ Post-Installation Report Outline (IDIQ Attachment J-9): Required format for post-installation M&V report
- Reviewing Post-Installation and Annual Reports for Federal ESPC Projects
- 2008 DOE IDIQ Annual Report Outline (IDIQ Attachment J-10): Required format for an ESPC annual report
- 2017 DOE IDIQ Annual Report Outline (IDIQ Attachment J-10): Required format for an ESPC annual report