The Fairfield, Ohio, Site was remediated under the Formerly Utilized Sites Remedial Action Program (FUSRAP). FUSRAP was established in 1974 to remediate sites where radioactive contamination remained from Manhattan Project and early U.S. Atomic Energy Commission operations.
In 1956, the Associated Aircraft Tool and Manufacturing Company machined and shaped uranium metal at the site for the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission, contaminating interior building surfaces, drains, equipment, and soils.
Contamination was removed to levels considered acceptable at the time in late 1956. DOE conducted additional remediation at the property under FUSRAP in 1994 and 1995. Supplemental limits were applied to uranium in the soil beneath the building floor slab. DOE certified that applicable cleanup criteria had been achieved and the site was released for unrestricted use in 1996. Responsibility for the site was transferred from DOE’s Office of Environmental Management to its Office of Legacy Management (LM) in 2004.
No institutional controls are in effect at the privately-owned site and DOE does not require on-site monitoring or surveillance. LM’s long-term stewardship responsibilities consist of managing FUSRAP site records and responding to stakeholder inquiries.
For more information about the Fairfield FUSRAP Site, view the fact sheet.