The Natural Gas Act of 1938, as amended, requires any person who wishes to engage in the import and/or export natural gas, (including liquefied natural gas, compressed natural gas, compressed gas liquids, etc.) from and/or to a foreign country; to first obtain an authorization from the Department of Energy. Within the Department of Energy (DOE), the Office of Regulation, Analysis, and Engagement - Division of Natural Gas Regulation, is responsible for granting such authorizations.
Docket Room Services
- How to Obtain Authorization to Import and/or Export Natural Gas and LNG - Information regarding how to file an application for authorization with the DOE
- Electronic Docket (eDocket) Room - Online docket index of all dockets pertaining to the Imports and/or Export of Natural Gas
- Service List -The Regulatory Office maintains service lists for all proceedings. Service lists are restricted to intervenors. So, you MUST file a request to intervene in order to added to a service list. The only way to be added to a service list is to intervene.
Intervenors on the Service List will receive the applicant's filings, Department documents related to the case, and materials filed by other interested parties. However, as an intervenor, you are also obligated to give copies of what you file to all the other parties on the Service List.
- How to Electronically file your Application - Instructions on how to file your application electronically
- Submitting an Electronic Payment - DOE now accepts electronic payment methods for the $50 application fee
- Public Comment Procedures - Information regarding how to submit a public comment for an open docket
- Applications for Change or Transfer of Control of Authorizations to Import and/or Export Natural Gas
Also available is the Summary of LNG Export Applications of the Lower 48 States. This document is an overall summary of LNG Export applications, including those that are under DOE review and those that have been approved.
- LNG Export Studies
- Addendum to Environmental Review Documents Concerning Exports of Natural Gas from the United States
- Life Cycle Greenhouse Gas Perspective on Exporting Liquefied Natural Gas from the United States
- A Proposed Change to the Energy Department's LNG Export Decision-Making Procedures
- Other Information Pertaining to LNG Export Studies
- Rule Regarding Small-scale LNG Exports
- Advisory Opinion on Shipment of Liquefied Natural Gas to U.S. Naval Station Guantanamo Bay, Cuba
- Policy Statement on non-FTA Natural Gas Export Authorizations
- Final Rule on Small Scale Exports
- Proposed Interpretive Rule on Filing of Contracts
- Policy Statement on LNG Destination Reporting
- 2019 UPDATE OF 2014 LIFE CYCLE LNG EXPORT GREENHOUSE GAS STUDY
- Final Policy Statement Extending Natural Gas Export Authorizations to Non-Free Trade Agreement Countries Through the Year 2050
Data Reporting Requirements and Other Information Pertaining to LNG Reporting
- Guidelines for Filing Monthly Reports
- Reporting Requirements for In-Transit Gas
- Semi-Annual Reporting Requirements (LNG Exports)
- Long-term Contract Information and Registrations
- Natural Gas Regulation - Other Gas-Related Information Sources
- Web-based Portal to File Monthly Import-Exports
- Changes to FE-746 Data Collection