Eight EM sites have been honored with the 2023 Electronic Product Environmental Assessment Tool (EPEAT) Purchaser Award, the most the cleanup program has won in a year since the program honoring purchases of sustainable goods began in 2015.
“EM is a leader in the Department and had a very successful year in the 2023 EPEAT Purchaser Award Program,” EM Chief Information Officer Jeanne Beard said. “The office's field sites have now earned 40 total EPEAT awards since the program began in 2015."
What’s more, UCOR, the Oak Ridge Office of Environmental Management lead cleanup contractor, was recognized for the ninth consecutive year, tying North Wind Dynamics from EM’s Portsmouth Site for the longest winning streak for the EPEAT Purchaser Award in the EM cleanup complex.
“As an environmentally focused company, UCOR constantly looks for ways to procure materials with a focus on sustainability,” said Mandy Vitello, UCOR’s chief information officer. “We are honored to be recognized by EPEAT for our purchasing practices.”
Also, EM Paducah Site infrastructure support services contractor Swift & Staley was named an EPEAT Purchaser Award winner for the fourth time.
EPEAT is an ecolabel for the information technology (IT) sector that helps purchasers, manufacturers, resellers and others buy and sell environmentally preferable electronic products such as computers, displays, imaging equipment and mobile phones endorsed by the Global Electronic Council, a nonprofit that advocates for purchasing practices that improve the environment. The council’s annual awards event recognizes excellence in the sustainable procurement of IT products. Purchasers are recognized for product categories in which they purchase EPEAT-registered products.
EM’s 2023 EPEAT Purchaser Award recipients include:
- Hanford Site, winner in five product categories and ninth award overall for the site;
- Oak Ridge Office of Environmental Management contractor UCOR, winner in three product categories and ninth straight award for the site;
- Portsmouth Site infrastructure support services contractor North Wind Dynamics, winner in four product categories and ninth straight award for the site;
- West Valley Demonstration Project cleanup contractor CH2M HILL BWXT West Valley, winner in three product categories and fourth straight award for the site;
- Moab Uranium Mill Tailings Remedial Action Project, winner in one product category and fourth straight award for the site;.
- Savannah River Site, winner in five product categories and second straight award for the site;
- Waste Isolation Pilot Plant, winner in two product categories and second award for the site; and
- Paducah Site infrastructure support services contractor Swift & Staley, winner in three product categories and the fourth award for the site.
The virtual 2023 EPEAT Purchaser Award Ceremony is scheduled for Thursday, July 27 from 1 to 2 p.m. EST. Registration for the event and more information is available here.
To receive the latest news and updates about the Office of Environmental Management, submit your e-mail address.