The Oxford, Ohio, Site was remediated under the Formerly Utilized Sites Remedial Action Program (FUSRAP). FUSRAP was established in 1974 to remediate sites where radioactive contamination remained from Manhattan Project and early U.S. Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) operations.
Between 1952 and 1957, uranium metal was machined at the former Alba Craft Laboratory on behalf of AEC, resulting in contamination of the site and several nearby (vicinity) properties, all of which are privately owned. Several hundred tons of uranium metal is estimated to have been machined at the site.
AEC removed some contamination at the site in 1957 after contracted activities ended. A detailed radiological survey was conducted in 1992 and DOE conducted additional remediation of the site and the vicinity properties under FUSRAP in 1994 and 1995. The site was then certified as conforming to applicable cleanup criteria and DOE released all properties for unrestricted use in 1996.
No supplemental limits or institutional controls are in effect at the privately-owned site, and DOE does not require on-site monitoring or surveillance. Office of Legacy Management long-term stewardship responsibilities consist of managing FUSRAP site records and responding to stakeholder inquiries.
For more information about the Oxford FUSRAP Site, view the fact sheet.