Solid-state lighting (SSL) technology has the potential to reduce U.S. lighting energy use by 75% by 2035 and contribute significantly to our nation's energy security.
The Federal Energy Management Program's (FEMP) SSL initiatives offers a unique opportunity for the federal sector to lead large-scale implementation efforts focused on SSL applications ripe for near-term implementation through a process that recognizes the technology's potential and challenges to adoption.
Indoor Solid-State Lighting
FEMP supports accelerated federal adoption of high-efficiency troffer lighting and controls systems, with guidance and recognition available through the Interior Lighting Campaign (ILC).
Interior Lighting Campaign
Federal sites can take advantage of SSL resources for high-efficiency lighting tailored to their needs by joining the ILC, which offers resources and limited technical assistance, as well as recognition to organizations that demonstrate exemplary performance. Savings can be significant! For example, by adopting more efficient troffer lighting, such as systems that meet the Better Buildings Alliance specification for troffers, building owners can save more than 50% on a one-for-one basis and up to 80% with the use of controls. The ILC spans troffer, linear suspended, high bay, and low bay lighting applications including controls. Join the ILC.
Several federal sites participate in the ILC and have received recognition for exemplary performance. In 2017, one federal site was recognized for exemplary performance at the 2017 ILC recognition event, held at the BOMA 2017 International Conference and Expo on June 25, 2017, in Nashville, Tennessee.
- U.S. Army Reserve 88th Readiness Division
- Highest Percentage of Annual Energy Savings for Troffer Lighting Retrofits (Medium Project)
- Highest Percentage of Annual Energy Savings for Troffer Lighting Retrofits (Large Project)
In 2016, three federal sites were acknowledged for exemplary performance at the 2016 ILC recognition event, which was held at the Building Owners and Managers Association's 2017 International Conference and Expo on June 27, 2016, in Nashville, Tennessee.
- Army Reserve 9th Mission Support Command: Exemplary Federal Government Sector Site
- Army Reserve 99th Regional Support Command: Exemplary Federal Government Sector Site
- U.S. General Services Administration's Byron G. Rogers and New Carrollton federal buildings:
- Highest Absolute Annual Savings for Troffer Lighting Retrofits (Large Project)
- Highest Percentage of Annual Savings for Troffer Lighting Retrofits (Large Project)
- Best Use of Lighting Controls in a Single Building
Outdoor Solid-State Lighting
FEMP encourages accelerated federal adoption of high efficiency parking lighting and controls systems, with guidance and recognition available through the Lighting Energy Efficiency in Parking (LEEP) Campaign.
Federal sites can take advantage of outdoor SSL resources tailored to their needs and join the LEEP Campaign, which offers free technical assistance and achievement recognition.
- 2016 Federal LEEP Campaign Exemplary Performance Recognition
- Army Reserve 9th Mission Support Command
- 2015 Federal LEEP Campaign Exemplary Performance Recognition Case Studies:
- Army Reserve 63d Regional Support Command: Highest Percentage Savings in a Retrofit at a Single Parking Lot
- General Services Administration Northwest Arctic Region: Exemplary Federal Parking Facility
- Camp Pendleton Marine Corps Base: Highest Percentage Savings in a Retrofit at a Single Parking Lot
- 2014 Federal LEEP Campaign Exemplary Performance Recognition Case Studies:
- Forrestal Tubular LED Demonstration Project: Lessons Learned
- Purchasing Energy-Efficient Commercial and Industrial LED Luminaires
- LED Retrofit Kits, TLEDs, and Lighting Controls: An Application Guide
- FEMP Acquisition Guidance for LED Luminaire Product Efficiency Requirements
- United Facilities Criteria: Interior and Exterior Lighting Systems and Controls (Change 3, 01 June 2016)
- Wireless Occupancy Sensors for Lighting Controls
- Interior Lighting Campaign for Federal Users
- GSA PBS-P100 Facilities Standards for the Public Buildings Service
- Advanced Interior Lighting Systems
- LEEP Campaign for Federal Users
- Guide to FEMP-designated Parking Structure Lighting
- Guide to FEMP-designated Parking Lot Lighting
- FEMP Outdoor Solid-State Lighting Initiative: Resources for Outdoor SSL Applications
- LED Provides Effective and Efficient Parking Area Lighting at the NAVFAC Engineering Service Center
- Advanced Exterior Lighting Systems
Building Technologies Office Resources
- Guidance for Upgrading Troffer Luminaires to LED
- Solid-State Lighting Basics
- Benefits and Security
- Lighting for Health
- CALiPER Summary Reports
- Solid-State Lighting Webcasts
- Lighting and Electrical Technology Solutions Team
- Better Buildings Solution Center Search Solutions
- LEEP Campaign
- Better Buildings Alliance High Efficiency Troffer Performance Specification
- High Efficiency Parking Lot Lighting Specification
- High-Efficiency Parking Structure Lighting Specification
- Measurement and Verification of Energy Savings and Performance from Advanced Lighting Controls Report
- Better Buildings High Efficiency Troffer Lighting