You are here
Research and Development Opportunities
Most R&D procurements for the Office of Fossil Energy are coordinated by the National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL). Most of the links below are to NETL's business-related web pages:
Financial Assistance for R&D
Financial assistance vehicles support or stimulate R&D for a public purpose. Grants are used when there is no need for substantial involvement between the recipient and agency during performance of the grant. Cooperative agreements are used when substantial involvement is needed between the recipient and agency during performance.
- Solicitations: View a listing of competitive solicitations currently posted by NETL.
- Unsolicited Proposals: DOE encourages organizations and individuals to submit self-generated, unsolicited proposals that are relevant to its research and development mission.
Business Alert Notifications
FedBizOpps, FedConnect, and Grants.gov provide e-mail notification services to interested parties who want to receive information about the posting of an acquisition or financial assistance opportunity.
- Register for acquisition opportunity notices at FedBiz Opps.
- Register for funding opportunity notices at FedConnect and Grants.gov.
Because FE's programs might involve acquisition and financial assistance opportunities, registering at all of the above websites is suggested.
Small Business Innovation Research/Small Business Technology Transfer
The Office of Fossil Energy participates in DOE's Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) and Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) programs. SBIR and STTR are U.S. government programs in which federal agencies with large research and development budgets set aside funding for competitions among small businesses only.
Acquisitions or Procurements
DOE's National Energy Technology Laboratory also uses competitive solicitations to acquire goods and services for use by the laboratory or for the direct use of the Federal Government.
Other Business Opportunities
- Cooperative Research and Development Agreements (CRADAs): Under CRADAs, several parties agree to collaborate on a specific research project. No money changes hands with this type of agreement.
- Patents & Licensing: View a listing of NETL inventions available to the private sector for licensing.
- Available Property: NETL offers surplus equipment for sale to the public and provides opportunities for colleges and universities to acquire laboratory equipment. It also provides gifts of math and science equipment to eligible recipients in the field of education.
- Procurement-Related Forms and Related Links
- Contacts: View a list of NETL personnel that can assist you in obtaining more information about business opportunities.
Strategic Petroleum Reserve
Procurements for the U.S. Strategic Petroleum Reserve are managed by the SPR Project Management Office. The following links open business-related web pages maintained by the Project Management Office:
- Acquisitions, Exchanges, and Sales offered by the Department of Energy
- Other Business Opportunities offered by DynMcDermott [SPR Operating Contractor]
- Other Business Opportunities with ASRC Gulf States Constructors, LLC. [SPR's Construction Management Construction Management Contractor