Building exterior
Integrated Waste Treatment Unit at Idaho National Laboratory

The 890 square-mile Idaho National Laboratory Site (INL), located in southeastern Idaho, was first established in 1952 as the National Reactor Testing Station. The original mission of the INL site was to develop and test civilian and defense nuclear reactor technologies and manage spent nuclear fuel. Fifty-two reactors — most of them first of a kind — were built at the site, including the Navy’s first prototype nuclear propulsion plant. Of the 52 reactors, four remain in operation.

Budget

FY21 Enacted
(In the millions)
FY22 Requested
(In the millions)
$445 $381

 

Workers inside building
Crews at the Idaho National Laboratory Site prepare to load certified transuranic waste into a TRUPACT-II container for shipping to the Waste Isolation Pilot Plant.

Idaho News

VIEW ALL