Recently, the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE’s) Advanced Rooftop Unit (RTU) Campaign recognized seven businesses for their leadership in energy-efficient commercial buildings. These businesses saved an annual $5 million and 50 million kWh by replacing or retrofitting 10,432 RTUs and installing 5,842 automated fault detection and diagnostics (AFDD) systems on RTUs for operational efficiency. The Advanced RTU Campaign is a recognition and technical assistance program supported by the National Renewable Energy Laboratory and DOE.
- Walgreens, a pharmacy and retail store chain, was recognized for having the highest number of high-efficiency RTU installations and advanced RTU control retrofits. As part of an effort to increase energy efficiency across the Walgreens portfolio, stores most in need of new equipment were prioritized for right-sized energy-efficient equipment replacements. In 2017 alone, Walgreens replaced 3,988 RTUs with high-efficiency units at 737 stores, resulting in over 35.7 million kWh annual savings.
- DaVita Inc., a dialysis treatment chain, focused on providing improved thermal comfort for their dialysis patients in three ways in 2017: 1) a preventative and reactive maintenance program, 2) a proactive RTU replacement program, and 3) smart HVAC controls that provides proactive and predictive maintenance via AFDD. DaVita installed AFDD systems on 4,889 RTUs in 2017 and was recognized for having the highest number of AFDD installations on RTUs.
- Sheetz, the convenience store and coffee shop chain, was recognized for having the most innovative intelligent control installations for RTUs. Sheetz applied innovative RTU control strategies for space pressurization control and improved compressor modulation that resulted in energy savings and improved occupant comfort.
- Life Time Fitness, a chain of large health and fitness centers, implemented creative solutions to integrate several systems including commissioning an energy management system to verify CO2 sensors are installed and operational, minimum damper position settings, temperature, schedules and building pressure. These efforts have resulted in an estimated 1 million hours in reduced RTU runtimes and improved performance. Life Time Fitness was recognized for having the largest RTU efficiency gain from integration of multiple building systems.
- Mass Save® is a collaborative of Massachusetts' natural gas and electric utilities and energy efficiency service providers. Their Commercial and Industrial HVAC Program utilizes an upstream approach that works with HVAC distributors and manufacturers across Massachusetts to help ensure that high-efficiency equipment is available in stock, can be sold in emergency replacement situations, and distributors are able to confer lifetime energy savings to customers. The program, organized by Energy Solutions, reported 6,444 high-efficiency RTU installations in 2017, resulting in over 9.6 million kWh annual savings. They were recognized for having the highest number of high-efficiency RTU installations and advanced RTU control retrofits through an efficiency program.
- Tri Pacific Heating & Air Conditioning’s HVAC Optimization Program for Southern California Edison provides for a 125-point quarterly maintenance inspection program, automatic economizer, demand control ventilation, and variable frequency drive upgrades for qualified RTUs. Tri Pacific reported 873 advanced RTU control retrofits in California, resulting in over 5 million kWh annual savings in 2017. They were recognized for having the highest number of high-efficiency RTU installations and advanced RTU control retrofits by a contractor/service provider.
- Transformative Wave’s web-connected version of the CATALYST Advanced RTU Control solution provides real-time AFDD through a platform that automates email alerts when it detects one of 11 different types of faults. Transformative Wave was recognized for having the highest number of AFDD installations on RTUs, supporting 953 AFDD system installations.
Congratulations to these leading businesses and other campaign partners. Since 2013, 318 campaign partners have replaced or retrofitted 114,354 packaged rooftop units, for $90 million in annual energy cost savings.
Learn more about the Advanced Rooftop Unit Campaign and how to get involved.