GOLDEN, CO – Today, the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) announced its intent to launch the Manufacture of Advanced Key Energy Infrastructure Technologies (MAKE IT) Prize. The prize will make available approximately $30 million in total funding to catalyze domestic manufacturing of critical clean energy technology components, moving manufacturing facilities from planning to shovel-ready, and enabling strategies for vibrant manufacturing activity in communities.
“The resurgence of American manufacturing is critical to our energy security and the clean energy transition,” said DOE Chief Commercialization Officer and Director of the Office of Technology Transitions Dr. Vanessa Z. Chan. “The MAKE IT Prize will incentivize investments in domestic manufacturing that will make our economy more resilient and our energy supply more secure.”
“Building a new clean energy infrastructure and deploying new clean energy technologies require strengthening our supply chains by supporting investments in domestic manufacturing. Secure, resilient supply chains and a robust domestic manufacturing base will be critical to maximizing the benefits of our investments in climate and clean energy transition and providing economic opportunity for all Americans.
The prize was developed by the DOE Office of Technology Transitions (OTT) in partnership with the Offices of Clean Energy Demonstrations and Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy, and is funded by the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law as part of the Technology Commercialization Fund (TCF).
The MAKE IT Prize will have two tracks:
- Facilities Track: U.S.-based entities interested in building domestic manufacturing facilities for critical clean energy components will be eligible to participate in the Facilities track. Each winner will receive up to $5,000,000 for developing facilities to the point of being shovel-ready for construction.
- Strategies Track: Teams working to promote clean energy manufacturing activity in their regions will be eligible to participate in the Strategies Track. Each winner will receive up to $400,000 for creating a roadmap to bring clean energy manufacturing to their region and providing demonstrated interest from at least one manufacturing developer.
Organizations interested in establishing clean energy manufacturing facilities or developing strategies to promote clean energy manufacturing in their regions should follow the MAKE IT Prize pages on HeroX, the official competition platform:
OTT intends to launch the prize and open the application period in summer 2023. Subsequent updates and announcements for the MAKE IT Prize will be posted on HeroX.
The MAKE IT Prize is administered by the National Renewable Energy Laboratory and is part of the American-Made program. The American-Made Program fast-tracks innovation through prizes, training, teaming, and mentoring, connecting the nation's entrepreneurs and innovators to America's national labs and the private sector.
- For more information, visit the MAKE IT Prize HeroX pages:
- For questions about this prize, contact MAKEITprize@nrel.gov.
- Learn more about OTT’s Technology Commercialization Fund.
- Sign up for the OTT newsletter to stay current with the latest news and funding programs.