The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Office of Indian Energy, with support and coordination from Sandia National Laboratories, offers a college student internship program for current full-time undergraduate and graduate students who are familiar with Native American culture and tribal issues. Interns support tribal energy projects and assist a cross-disciplinary team to perform specific technical tasks in the field and at DOE’s Sandia National Laboratories.
Applications are now open for a part-time year-round internship opportunity and four summer internships in Winter 2021. Learn more about the requirements and application process.
The Office of Indian Energy seeks to hire five students for full-time internships beginning in summer 2022.
College Student Internship Program Highlights, 2010-2021*
- 26 undergraduate & graduate interns have participated.
- 12 different tribal affiliations
- 23% of the interns converted to year-round status (6 of 20)
- 12% of the interns hired as full-time employees or contractors (3 of 26)
- 73% female interns (19 of 26)