The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Office of Indian Energy, with support and coordination from Sandia National Laboratories, offers a college student internship program for current full-time undergraduate and graduate students who are familiar with Native American culture and tribal issues. Interns support tribal energy projects and assist a cross-disciplinary team to perform specific technical tasks in the field and at DOE’s Sandia National Laboratories.
Learn more about the requirements and application process.
College Student Internship Program Highlights, 2010-2022*
- 31 undergraduate & graduate interns have participated
- 12 different tribal affiliations
- 26% of the interns converted to year-round status (8 of 31)
- 10% of the interns hired as Sandia full-time employees or contractors (3 of 31)
- 71% female interns (22 of 31).
* No internships were offered in 2020.
DOE Tribal Internship Program: Cultivating Indian Energy Leaders
More About the Interns: