Funding Opportunities, Requests for Information, and Notices of Intent
Below are the open FECM prizes, funding opportunities announcements (FOA), requests for information (RFI), and notices of intent (NOI) to issue a funding opportunity, including funding from the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law (BIL).
Click here for a list of past and current FECM funding opportunities announced during the Biden-Harris Administration.
|FECM Program||Announcement Title||Estimated Total Federal Funding||Open Date||Close Date||Status|
|Carbon Management||CETPartnership Joint Call 2023||$6 Million||9/20/23||11/22/23||Draft Call Text Released|
|Carbon Management||Carbon Management Collegiate Competition||$25,000||N/A||N/A||Awardees Selected|
|Carbon Management||FOA 2614: Carbon Management||$45.5 Million||5/18/23||7/18/23||Accepting FOA Applications (Round 3)|
|Resource Sustainability||FOA 3075: Facilitating a Domestic Critical Minerals Future: Carbon Ore, Rare Earth, and Critical Minerals (CORE-CM) Initiative||N/A||5/17/23||7/17/23||Accepting RFI Input|
|Carbon Management||BIL FOA 2711: Carbon Storage Validation and Testing||$2.25 Billion||5/17/23||7/6/23||Accepting FOA Applications (Round 2)|
|Carbon Management||Direct Air Capture Pre-Commercial Technology Prize||$3.2 Million||3/9/23||9/26/23||Accepting Applications|
|Carbon Management||Direct Air Capture Pre-Commercial EPIC Prize||$3.7 Million||3/9/23||6/22/23||Accepting Applications|
Below are the open cross agency prizes, funding opportunities announcements (FOA), requests for information (RFI), and notices of intent (NOI) to issue a funding opportunity that FECM is collaborating on, including funding from the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law (BIL).
|Lead Office||Announcement Title||Estimated Total Federal Funding||Open Date||Close Date||Status|
|Office of Clean Energy Demonstrations||BIL FOA 2963: Carbon Capture Large-Scale Pilot Projects||$820 Million||2/23/23||6/21/23||Accepting FOA Applications|
Research and Development Opportunities
Most R&D procurements for the Office of Fossil Energy and Carbon Management are coordinated by the National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL). Most of the links below are to NETL's business-related web pages:
Financial Assistance for R&D
Financial assistance vehicles support or stimulate R&D for a public purpose. Grants are used when there is no need for substantial involvement between the recipient and agency during performance of the grant. Cooperative agreements are used when substantial involvement is needed between the recipient and agency during performance.
- Solicitations: View a listing of competitive solicitations currently posted by NETL.
- Unsolicited Proposals: DOE encourages organizations and individuals to submit self-generated, unsolicited proposals that are relevant to its research and development mission.
Business Alert Notifications
FedBizOpps, FedConnect, and Grants.gov provide e-mail notification services to interested parties who want to receive information about the posting of an acquisition or financial assistance opportunity.
- Register for acquisition opportunity notices at FedBiz Opps.
- Register for funding opportunity notices at FedConnect and Grants.gov.
Because FECM's programs might involve acquisition and financial assistance opportunities, registering at all of the above websites is suggested.
Small Business Innovation Research/Small Business Technology Transfer
The Office of Fossil Energy and Carbon Management participates in DOE's Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) and Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) programs. SBIR and STTR are U.S. government programs in which federal agencies with large research and development budgets set aside funding for competitions among small businesses only.
Acquisitions or Procurements
DOE's National Energy Technology Laboratory also uses competitive solicitations to acquire goods and services for use by the laboratory or for the direct use of the Federal Government.
FECM and NETL developed a communications toolkit (PDF) to make it easy for organizations selected to receive federal funding to share their story through social media and other digital outlets. The toolkit includes sample social posts, a sample press release, and tips and tricks to interacting with the DOE on social media.
Other Business Opportunities
- Cooperative Research and Development Agreements (CRADAs): Under CRADAs, several parties agree to collaborate on a specific research project. No money changes hands with this type of agreement.
- Patents & Licensing: View a listing of NETL inventions available to the private sector for licensing.
- Available Property: NETL offers surplus equipment for sale to the public and provides opportunities for colleges and universities to acquire laboratory equipment. It also provides gifts of math and science equipment to eligible recipients in the field of education.
- Procurement-Related Forms and Related Links
- Contacts: View a list of NETL personnel that can assist you in obtaining more information about business opportunities
Sign up to get notified of new FECM funding opportunities and to stay current with our latest news.
Last Updated: June 5, 2023