DOE's Office of Fossil Energy (FE) advances transformative science and innovative technologies that enable the reliable, efficient, affordable, and environmentally sound use of fossil fuels. Fossil energy sources constitute over 80% of the country’s total energy use and are important to the Nation’s security, economic prosperity, and growth.
The Office of Clean Coal and Carbon Management is focused on the following research and development (R&D) activities:
- Transforming Fossil Energy Systems for the Future
- Drive technology solutions for a resilient 21st century grid
- Managing Carbon with Confidence
- Advance technologies to cost-effectively capture and securely store carbon across the economy
- Reimaging Coal – Advanced Rare Earth Elements, Critical Minerals, and Coal Products Technologies
- Explore developing high-value products as well as sustainable extraction and processing methods
- Accelerate product pathways
- Visit FE’s Division of Minerals Sustainability webpage to learn more
- Creating Opportunities with Analysis and Engagement
- Generate opportunities for advanced coal and carbon management technologies, using expert analysis and strategic engagement
These R&D activities will allow coal to remain a strategic resource for the nation while enhancing environmental protection.