The Federal Energy Management Program (FEMP) established the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Qualified List of Energy Service Companies (ESCOs) in accordance with the Energy Policy Act of 1992 and 10 C.F.R. 436. The DOE Qualified List of ESCOs is composed of about 100 firms that have submitted applications and have been approved by the DOE qualification review board.
Companies approved for the DOE Qualified List of ESCOs may compete for energy savings performance contracts (ESPCs) with federal agencies.
Applying for the DOE Qualified List of ESCOs
Applications for the DOE Qualified List of ESCOs are accepted throughout the year. Each ESCO on the list is required to recertify each calendar year.
FEMP strongly recommends that a firm contacts Douglas Eisemann (571-446-5637, Douglas.Eisemann@gdit.com) before preparing or submitting an application to the DOE Qualified List of ESCOs.
To be considered for the DOE Qualified List of ESCOs, applicants must do the following.
2. Complete two client questionnaires (located at the end of the Supplemental Questionnaire), which include signatures from two project clients.
- Both questionnaires must be completed and submitted with client signatures as part of the application. These questionnaires should correspond with the two project descriptions identified in the statement of qualifications (question 10B[a]).
3. If you include data in your application that you do not want disclosed to the public for any purpose or used by the government except for evaluation purposes, please provide the following information.
- Prepare a title page marked with the following legend:
- “This application includes data that shall not be disclosed outside the government and shall not be duplicated, used, or disclosed—in whole or in part—for any purpose other than to evaluate this application. If, however, this firm is selected for placement on the Qualified List as a result of—or in connection with—the submission of this data, the government shall have the right to duplicate or use the data. This restriction does not limit the government’s right to use information contained in this data if it is obtained from another source without restriction. The data subject to this restriction are contained in sheets [Insert numbers or other identification sheets];” and
- Mark each sheet of your data you wish to restrict with the following legend:
- “Use or disclosure of data contained on this sheet is subject to the restriction on the title page of this application.”
DOE reserves the right to determine the confidential status of the information and to treat it accordingly under 10 CFR 1004.11.
4. DOE Qualified List of ESCOs Application documents should be uploaded to the eProject Builder System. eProject Builder is a secure web-based data entry and tracking system for energy savings performance contract (ESPC) projects. eProject Builder standardizes data collection for ESPC projects, and enables ESCOs and their customers to securely:
- Upload, track, and access ESPC project information for the life of the contract.
- Quickly generate data for project and portfolio reports.
- Develop project scenarios using standardized amortization calculations.
- Benchmark new ESPC projects against historical project data.
An eProject Builder overview and additional information regarding eProject Builder are available at https://emp.lbl.gov/projects/eproject-builder and https://eprojectbuilder.lbl.gov/home/#/about, respectively.
You must request an eProject Builder account to upload your application documents. The eProject Builder (ePB) login webpage is https://eprojectbuilder.lbl.gov/home/#/login. Click in the gray text box that states: “New to ePB? Request an Account.” The eProject Builder Help, Documentation and Training webpage is https://eprojectbuilder.lbl.gov/home/#/help.
You must upload these five required files:
- Standard Form 129
- Supplemental questionnaire
- Client questionnaire for project #1
- Client questionnaire for project #2
- Resumes for firm personnel (single file)
You may upload any of these five optional files:
- Introductory cover letter
- Title page with DOE non-disclosure statement
- Supplemental information for project #1
- Supplemental information for project #2
- Other supplemental documentation for the Qualification Review Board
Project Data Templates
You must input project data into eProject Builder for your two reference projects.
The Project Data Templates are available from the ePB Help webpage. Instructions for the input process are provided in the "Getting Started" guide. Some project data specific to the ESPC project financing methodology may not be applicable for non-ESPC projects.
A qualification review board (QRB) evaluates applications for the DOE Qualified List of ESCOs. As per 10 C.F.R. § 436.32(b), on the basis of statements of qualifications received and any other relevant information, the QRB selects firms for inclusion under the following circumstances.
The company has provided ESPC services or services that saved energy or reduced utility costs for at least two clients, and the company possesses the appropriate project experience to successfully implement the technologies that it proposes to provide.
Previous project clients provide ratings that are fair or better.
The company, or any principal of the company, has been neither insolvent nor declared bankruptcy within the last five years.
The company, or any principal of the company, is not on the list of parties excluded from procurement programs (in other words, has not been debarred by the federal government) under 48 CFR part 9, subpart 9.4.
There is no adverse information that warrants the conclusion that the company is not qualified to perform energy savings performance contracting.
Please allow at least three months to complete the evaluation process.