The DOE Headquarters Accommodation Program was established to provide reasonable computer and related telecommunications accommodations for employees with disabilities. Since implementation of the Assistive Technologies program in 1993, accommodations have increased from an initial 26 to an approximately 700 individual accommodations.
The Assistive Technologies program complies with Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Telecommunications Accessibility Enhancement Act, and related legislation. This comprehensive program demonstrates DOE's commitment to assist employees with disabilities to maximize their employability, independence, and integration into the workforce.
- Recommend accommodations for individuals with disabilities and impairments
- Provide workstation accommodation support
- Offer comprehensive workstation ergonomic evaluations
- Propose workstation-related stress and strain reduction techniques
- Promote agency-wide intra-organizational accessibility awareness and practices
- Advocate for employees with disabilities and impairments
- Encourage increased hiring of employees with disabilities
- Enhance the Assistive Technologies Program using employee feedback
- Institutionalize Assistive Technologies
- A barrier-free workplace
- A supportive work environment
- Heightened disability awareness for all employees