PPPO subject-matter experts analyze possible environmental hazards and provide risk assessment information to help inform various environmental decision-making processes. In doing so, the office consistently tracks its ongoing and projected Environmental Assessments and Environmental Impact Statements. To address CERCLA requirements, numerous risk-related activities include (but are not limited to) input to and quality assurance of Sampling and Analysis Plans, Work Plans, and Quality Assurance Project Plans.
Risk evaluation tools such as the Human Health and Ecological Risk Methods documents for Portsmouth and Paducah provide agencies-approved guidance for conducting screening and baseline Human Health and Ecological Risk Assessments. These assessments provide critical decision-making information for Remedial Investigation and Feasibility Study reports, which are then followed by Proposed Plans and Record-of-Decision documents.
Other risk-related activities include reviews of Remedial Action plans, annual Groundwater Monitoring Plans, Five-Year Reviews, and Site Management Plans.
These risk-related activities provide crucial input into the strategies for cleanup of the environment in order to protect human health and the environment from historically released chemical and radiological contamination.
- Supports PPPO mission and projects by providing direction and subject-matter expert (SME) input to risk assessment and risk management activities.
- Develops, reviews, and evaluates Risk Assessments, Risk Evaluations, Remedial Action Objectives, Remedial Goals, Work Plans, Sampling Analysis Plans and other regulatory compliance documents for their risk components from a scientific/technical basis.
- Coordinates development and updates of the the Paducah & Portsmouth Risk Method Documents and the Programmatic Quality Assurance Plan across PPPO and with regulatory agencies. This includes development and review of risk-based No Action and Action Levels, and Authorized Limit values.
- Provides program management and SME support in the areas of risk and dose assessment, fate and transport modeling, and risk management to ongoing and planned environmental remediation, disposal, and property release projects.
- Serves as PPPO representative in interactions with risk-related activities, including the Low-Level Waste Disposal Facility Federal Review Group, DOE Performance and Risk Assessment Community of Practice, and DOE EM Office of Groundwater and Soil Remediation Research.