The Columbus, Ohio, Sites (MED/AEC Legacy Site) consist of two separate properties owned by the Battelle Memorial Institute: the King Avenue site, located in the city of Columbus, and the West Jefferson site, located approximately 15 miles west of Columbus. Battelle conducted extensive nuclear research at both locations for the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) and its predecessor agencies between 1943 and 1986. The facilities have been decontaminated and released for unrestricted use. Responsibility for maintaining records for the Columbus sites transferred to DOE’s Office of Legacy Management in 2008. The sites require records management and stakeholder support. For more information about the Columbus sites, view the fact sheet.