WEST VALLEY, N.Y. – EM’s West Valley Demonstration Project (WVDP) Site recently awarded cleanup contractor CH2M HILL BWXT West Valley (CHBWV) nearly $346,000, or 75 percent, of the available fee for its performance in the first half of the evaluation period of fiscal 2019.
CHBWV’s noteworthy achievements for the period from Aug. 29, 2018 through Feb. 28, 2019 include:
- Surpassing 1 million work hours without lost-time injury or illness;
- Good planning and partnering associated with infrastructure improvements, rail line upgrades, and facility removals;
- Overall increase in effective training, responsiveness, communication, and document production relative to CHBWV safeguards and security operations;
- Good planning in Vitrification Facility demolition and associated waste removal;
- Submittal of exceptional quality environmental and regulatory reports; and
- Excellent support for stakeholder meetings and timely, high quality public communications.
These accomplishments were offset by some areas for improvements. Even though CHBWV achieved 1 million work hours without lost-time injury or illness, its reported work injuries increased. The contractor’s rate for total reportable cases was 1.7, 55 percent higher than EM’s goal.
The contractor took longer than expected to submit quality contract proposals, and did not submit some reports on time. CHBWV also provided limited support to EM to reduce the time required to complete some time-sensitive activities. The contractor also demonstrated weakness in project controls, which could affect project performance issues. Additionally, CHBWV was not proactive in planning for the collection and disposition of stormwater associated with demolition activities.
View the scorecard here.