Release and clearance of property with the potential to contain residual radioactive material must be conducted in accordance with the requirements of DOE O 458.1, 4.k Radiological Protection of the Public and the Environment (Chg 4), 2020. Property control and clearance processes must be developed and implemented in accordance with the dose limits provided in DOE O 458.1, 4.b. under any plausible use of the property, and the ALARA process requirements presented in DOE 458.1, 4.d. must be met before property is cleared.
Documents supporting clearance and release of Real and Personal Property include:
- DOE Guide(G) DOE-G-441.1-xx, Control and Release of Property with Residual Radioactive Materials, for use with DOE 5400.5, Radiation Protection of the Public and the Environment, 2002
This Implementation Guide references DOE’s requirements and presents DOE’s guidance for the control and release of property that may contain residual radioactive material. This draft Implementation guide is provided for Department and contractor personnel who perform cleanup of property contaminated with residual radioactive material and who must determine the disposition of property under the requirements in DOE 5400.5, Radiation Protection of the Public and the Environment (DOE, 1990), superseded by DOE O 458.1. This Guide is applicable to decommissioning, deactivation, decontamination, and remedial action of property with residual radioactive contamination.
- Figure IV-1 Surface Contamination Guidelines, DOE O 5400.5, Radiation Protection of the Public and the Environment, 1991
Figure IV-1, from DOE O 5400.1 provides surface contamination guidelines. DOE O 5400.1 was superseded by DOE O 458.1, however the section for surface contamination guidelines was not included within DOE O 458.1.
- DOE Handbook DOE-HDBK-xxxx-97, Draft Handbook for Controlling Release of Reuse or Recycle of Non-Real Property Containing Residual Radioactive Material, in 1997
The objective of the Handbook is to describe a step-by-step process that, if followed, will assist in ensuring radiological doses to the public from recycle or reuse of released non-real property containing residual radioactive material meet applicable regulatory standards, are as low as reasonably achievable, and meet DOE requirements for release of such material.
- DOE Standard(STD) DOE-STD-6004-2016, Clearance and Release of Personal Property from Accelerator Facilities, 2016
This Standard provides DOE accelerator facilities or modules thereof an acceptable approach for managing and dispositioning personal property that may be radiologically impacted (mainly by activation) by accelerator operations.
- Operating Experience Level 3 (OE-3), Clearance and Release of Personal Property from Accelerator Facilities, DOE-STD-6004
This OE-3 document describes the DOE technical standard, DOE-6004-2016, Clearance and Release of Personal Property from Accelerator Facilities that may be useful in implementing clearance of personal property in a manner compliant with the requirements of DOE O 458.1.
- Office of Environmental Management (EM) Desk Reference: Implementing DOE Order 458.1 Property Clearance Process (Authorized Limits and Independent Verification), April 2019
This EM desk reference clarifies procedures describing the expected elements of an authorized limits package, the consultation process, the independent verification process, and roles and responsibilities of those who develop and approve the clearance package. Developed for use by EM sites, may also be applicable to other offices for reference.
MORATORIUM AND SUSPENSION OF THE RELEASE OF METAL FROM DOE SITES
Documents related to the moratorium and suspension of the release of metals at DOE Sites.