The position is within the 0801 General Engineering series and WPTO will be filling this position at the GS-13 level. DOE has Direct Hire Authority to fill this science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) position. This authority allows us to hire more quickly than the traditional government hiring process. In using this authority, DOE abides by the Merit System Principles and all Federal and DOE regulations for hiring.
WPTO is committed to creating an inclusive, equitable, and diverse work environment. The U.S. Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Please read the general announcement on USAJobs for general information about the position; however, please follow the steps here below to apply which are different from the instructions on USAJobs due to DOE’s Direct Hire Authority.
Specific Program/Project Assignments
This position is with the Hydropower Program, which is in WPTO, within the Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy. This position will serve as a Technology Manager (TM) and Technical Project Officer (TPO) focused on hydropower technologies involving research, development, and demonstration. Specific assignments will include:
- Develops goals and objectives and advises management of relevant policy directives.
- Directs and coordinates the execution of programs through interaction with appropriate Headquarters elements and supporting DOE field offices and contractors.
- Verifies that work plans adhere to policy, budget, and scheduling guidance provided by DOE management.
- Oversees the preparation of technical reports and other documentation required to support DOE positions related to assigned projects and programs.
- Oversees financial assistance awards and ensures that projects proceed in a manner consistent with approved DOE objectives, costs, schedules, and the 2CFR200.
- Provides technical expertise and assistance to the contracting officer and program officials and is responsible for anticipating, identifying and resolving problems that arise in assigned projects; and advises supervisor regarding field activities on unusual, difficult, or controversial technical matters.
- Responsible for assignments that involve a wide range of activities requiring the coordination of technical, legal, environmental and financial considerations. Such duties require independent judgment, external collaboration, and negotiation, all of which directly influence the scope of a TPO’s implementation role and which leverage broad participation in EERE projects through mission-critical public-private partnerships.
- Communicates on a daily basis with Office and senior level management, financial assistant awardees, and project team members including legal, environmental (e.g., NEPA), procurement, finance, and program offices.
- Prepares, maintains and disseminates information on assigned projects/programs as required for technical and status updates to management, outside groups in private industry, and state and local officials.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities Required to Perform the Work
- Specialized experience for this position includes managing federal R&D projects for developing new hydropower and pumped storage hydropower technologies and program activities related to hydro interconnection into the nation’s transmission and distribution systems.
- Experience in coordinating and leading the efforts to negotiate and manage projects with a multidisciplinary teams involving technical, budgetary, legal, environmental, and procurement related areas.
- Skill in oral and written communication in a clear, effective, and engaging manner in order to communicate with a variety of departmental organizations, regulatory agencies, and stakeholders.
How to Apply
Notify both WPTO as well as the Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy that you have submitted your application by emailing WaterPowerTechnologiesOffice@EE.DOE.GOV and EEREhiring@EE.DOE.GOV. Please attach your resume and title the email “WPTO Hydro General Engineer Application.”
Information that should NOT be included on your resume at this stage includes:
- Your Social Security number
- Photos of yourself
- Personal information, such as age, gender, religious affiliation, etc.
- Classified or government-sensitive information
- Any encryption or digital signatures.
What to Expect Next
- Your application will be reviewed to determine qualification.
- If qualified, your application will be made available to WPTO for review.
- You may be contacted by WPTO for a virtual interview during the month of May.