DOE leadership and support spur advances in the efficacy and performance of light-emitting diode (LED) and organic LED (OLED) technologies—advances that might not otherwise be achieved without DOE funding. Despite rapid advances, SSL technology is actually still in its early years, and continued innovation and breakthroughs are needed to achieve the full potential of the technology. Unlike conventional lighting technologies, SSL technology still has significant room for additional performance and efficacy improvements, through improved materials, optics, electronic design, system intelligence, and advanced controls. Learn more about LED R&D Challenges, OLED R&D Challenges, and Market Challenges.
Shaping the R&D Agenda
DOE SSL program priorities are guided by R&D Opportunities, updated annually in collaboration with the U.S. lighting science R&D community. Input is sought through roundtables and annual workshops that bring together America's top scientists and lighting experts to focus on SSL R&D advances. These exchanges inform not only DOE-sponsored R&D, but also research agendas in academia and industry. All DOE SSL funding opportunity announcements (FOAs) and project selections align with the priorities and targets detailed in the R&D Opportunities document.
DOE SSL R&D projects, typically conducted by a single company, are competitively selected and cost-shared projects that explore complex science challenges that stand in the way of further improvements in efficacy and performance. Solicitations for R&D funding are issued annually. R&D partners and projects are selected based on factors such as energy savings potential, likelihood of success, and alignment with the R&D Opportunities.
- Learn more about current LED and OLED projects
- Review the complete Project Portfolio report of current and past projects
- View Research Highlights to learn about major progress and breakthroughs resulting from DOE-funded research projects
- Find out about R&D Program Impacts
In contrast to a single project focus, technology application R&D projects typically involve multiple companies and address broad issues related to technology performance, with a view that spans and impacts the entire industry.
- Learn more about Connected Lighting System studies
- Review lessons learned from Next Generation Lighting Systems evaluations of connected lighting systems
- View results from GATEWAY field evaluations
- Learn more about tunable luminaires
- View results from CALiPER testing
- Find out about OLED studies and OLED testing opportunities to accelerate advances in OLED technology
- Read about DOE technical support for development of needed standards, metrics, and methods for SSL
- Find out how the L Prize spurs technology innovation