DOE leadership and support spur advances in the efficacy and performance of light-emitting diode (LED) and organic LED (OLED) technologies—advances that might not otherwise be achieved without DOE funding. Despite rapid advances, SSL technology is actually still in its early years, and continued innovation and breakthroughs are needed to achieve the full potential of the technology. Unlike conventional lighting technologies, SSL technology still has significant room for additional performance and efficacy improvements, through improved materials, optics, electronic design, system intelligence, and advanced controls. Learn more about LED R&D Challenges, OLED R&D Challenges, and Market Challenges.
Shaping the R&D Agenda
DOE SSL program priorities are guided by the R&D Plan, updated annually in collaboration with industry partners. Industry input is sought through roundtables and annual workshops that bring together America's top scientists and lighting experts to focus on SSL R&D advances. These exchanges inform not only DOE-sponsored R&D, but also research agendas in academia and industry. All DOE SSL funding opportunity announcements (FOAs) and project selections align with the priorities and targets detailed in the R&D Plan.
DOE SSL R&D projects, typically conducted by a single company, are competitively selected and cost-shared projects that explore complex science challenges that stand in the way of further improvements in efficacy and performance. Solicitations for R&D funding are issued annually. R&D partners and projects are selected based on factors such as energy savings potential, likelihood of success, and alignment with the R&D Plan.
- Learn more about current LED and OLED projects.
- Review the complete Project Portfolio report of current and past projects.
- View Research Highlights to learn about major progress and breakthroughs resulting from DOE-funded research projects.
- Learn more about Patents and Products resulting from DOE-funded R&D.
- Find out about R&D Program Impacts.
In contrast to a single project focus, technology application R&D projects typically involve multiple companies and address broad issues related to technology performance, with a view that spans and impacts the entire industry.
- View results from the CALiPER testing program and GATEWAY evaluations
- Find out about OLED testing opportunities to accelerate advances in OLED technology
- Learn more about emerging R&D areas of focus related to connected lighting systems and color-tunable luminaires
- Review lessons learned from Next Generation Lighting Systems evaluations of connected lighting systems
- Read about DOE technical support for development of needed standards, metrics, and methods for SSL
- Find out how the L Prize spurs technology innovation
- Review SSL product performance via the LED Lighting Facts database