The University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR) will develop a solar power forecasting system that advances the state of the science through cutting-edge research.
The team will develop a solar power forecasting system that advances the state of the science through cutting-edge research, test it in several high penetration solar areas, and disseminate the research results widely to raise the bar on solar power forecasting.
- National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Brookhaven National Laboratory
- Penn State University
- Colorado State University
- University of Hawaii
- University of Washington
- University of Central Florida
- Long Island Power and Light
- Public Service of Colorado
- Sacramento Municipal Utility District
- Hawaiian Electric System
- New York Power Authority
- Xcel Energy
- Telvent DTN
- Atmospheric and Environmental Research
- Global Weather Corporation
- MDA Information Systems
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
The team will advance methods for solar radiation measurement and cloud observation and tracking techniques; methods to quantify and track aerosols that affect cloud formation and radiative transfer, including the prediction of aerosols, haze, and contrails; short-term prediction of cloud properties based on observations; and nowcasting techniques.
At this time, this project does not have published articles, patents, or awards.