Below you will find the most current operating procedures under Phase 2 with respect to visitors to Headquarters facilities and travel for employees’ duty stationed at Headquarters. Please keep in mind these procedures are subject to change as circumstances may require.
- Visitors are permitted onsite for Phase 2 but, will require approval by Heads of Department Elements. In Forrestal, visitors must enter through the designated "Visitor Only" access point located in the North building main lobby on the 9th Street side of the facility.
- Domestic travel may resume for mission essential program and project monitoring but must still receive approval by the respective Head of Departmental Element. Please note that localities may be in different phases of re-opening, so please be mindful of both state and local travel restrictions when you are planning your official travel. It is possible that a state or local government may put into place travel restrictions, such as stay-at-home or shelter-in-place orders or mandated quarantines upon arrival.
- For up-to-date information and travel guidance, check the state or local health department where you are, along your route, and at your planned destination. Links to state and territorial health department websites can be found on the CDC website: https://www.cdc.gov/publichealthgateway/healthdirectories/healthdepartments.html.
- International travel may resume (depending on availability of flights); however, it must be mission essential and approved by the respective Under Secretary. Many international destinations have travel restrictions in place prohibiting nonresidents from entering or requiring self-isolation for visitors. Restrictions for visitors change frequently so it is important to know what restrictions are in place when planning and departing for international destinations. Please note that if you travel abroad, there is no guarantee you will be able to return at the scheduled time due to changing travel restrictions and interruptions. For country-specific travel health information, please consult the CDC Travel Health Notices webpage at https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/.
- Please note that the Department of State is currently only processing passports for Permanent Change-of-Station Travel, and mission essential travel departing within a 72-hour time frame. The HQ Passport Office will be available to process passports by appointment only during business hours (7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.) on Tuesdays and Thursdays if your application is eligible for processing by the State Department. Appointments may be made by calling (202)586-3601 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Conference travel is not permitted at this time.
Secretary of Energy