The Renew America’s Schools grant is the flagship funding opportunity of the Renew America’s Schools Program. This competitive award focuses on funding infrastructure upgrades at K–12 public school facilities, prioritizing high-need school communities. The first round of this Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA) launched in November 2022, and the application period closed on April 21, 2023.
Demand for this funding was unprecedented. Local Education Agencies (LEAs) from 48 states and two territories submitted over 1,000 concept papers, totaling nearly $5.5 billion in requests. After receiving feedback on their project proposals, 236 LEAs from 44 states submitted eligible full applications, with requests totaling $1.62 billion.
In response to the high demand and overwhelming evidence of public need, the Department of Energy (DOE) more than doubled the funding for Round 1 of the competition from $80 million to $178 million. After extensive review of a highly competitive field, DOE identified 24 Selectees that demonstrated significant technical merit and responsiveness to the goals of the funding opportunity.
Congratulations to our Selectees!
Renew America’s Schools Grant: Selected Local Education Agencies
- Alexandria City Public Schools, Alexandria, VA
- Austin Independent School District, Austin, TX
- Baltimore County Public Schools, Windsor Mill, MD
- Bridgeport Public Schools (in partnership with University of Connecticut), Bridgeport, CT
- Cass Lake-Bena Public Schools (in partnership with Region Five Development Commission), Cass Lake, MN
- Charlo School District, Charlo, MT
- Choctaw County School District, Weir, MS
- Clinton School District, Clinton, AR
- Fairbanks North Star Borough School District, Fairbanks, AK
- Greenup County School District, Greenup, KY
- Jefferson County School District, Birmingham, AL
- Kane County School District, Kanab, UT
- Matchbook Learning Centers, Indianapolis, IN
- Memphis-Shelby County Schools, Memphis, TN
- Natick Public Schools, Natick, MA
- North Wasco County School District 21, Mosier, OR
- Nottoway County Public Schools, Blackstone, VA
- Porterville Unified School District, Porterville, CA
- St. Maries School District #41, Saint Maries, ID
- Warner Public Schools Oklahoma, Warner, OK
- White River School District 47-1, White River, SD
- William Penn School District, Yeadon, PA
- Williamsfield Schools (CUSD #210) and 19 LEAs, Williamsfield, IL
- Winnett Public School District #1, Winnett, MT
Selectee Fast Facts
The Department of Energy announced selections for Round 1 of the Renew America's Schools grant on June 29, 2023.
The Department of Energy anticipates releasing the second round of funding in Spring 2024.
Eligible projects include energy infrastructure improvements that reduce building operating costs—like new HVAC and ventilation systems, building envelope and lighting projects, and renewable energy technologies. Funding is also available for alternative fueled vehicles and alternative fueled vehicle infrastructure.
Spread the News!
Subscribe for more information about the Renew America's Schools Program.