2020 (2nd Round)
The following projects were selected under the Funding Opportunity Announcement titled "U.S. Industry Opportunities for Advanced Nuclear Technology Development" (DE-FOA-0001817) - 2nd round of calendar year 2020 (application due date of February 28, 2020)
Tier II: Advanced Reactor Development Projects
Electric Power Research Institute, Inc.
Palo Alto, CA and Charlotte, NC
Establishing Modular In-Chamber Electron Beam Welding (MIC-EBW) Phase II
Under this proposal the awardee will:
- Develop and establish MIC-EBW capability at a major U.S. fabricator.
- Reduce overall welding time by up to 90 percent compared to conventional welding technologies.
- Successfully demonstrate a 10-foot (3.05-meter) diameter, 4.375-inch (110-millimeter) thick vessel EB weld in less than 90 minutes of welding time (current state of the art is several weeks).
- Establish MIC-EBW capability to perform major reactor pressure vessel (RPV) girth welds for a NuScale Power design RPV.
- Develop manufacturing process plans based on technology and required post weld inspection/heat treatment.
Disclaimer: All product and company names used on this site are the trademarks of their respective holders. Reference herein to any specific commercial company, product, process, or service by trade name, trademark, manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by the United States Government or any agency thereof or its contractors or subcontractors.