The Toledo, Ohio, Site was remediated under the Formerly Utilized Sites Remedial Action Program (FUSRAP). FUSRAP was established in 1974 to remediate sites where radioactive contamination remained from Manhattan Project and early U.S. Atomic Energy Commission operations.
Under subcontract to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Manhattan Engineer District (MED), Baker Brothers, Inc., machined and shaped natural uranium from processed uranium metals for both the Clinton Semi-Works in east Tennessee and the Hanford nuclear reactor complex in the state of Washington. The contract was terminated in 1944 and the site was decontaminated to standards of the time.
In 1992, DOE designated the Toledo Site and its associated vicinity property for remediation under FUSRAP. DOE remediated localized areas of residual uranium contamination on interior building surfaces and exterior soil and concrete in 1995. DOE certified that the site and the vicinity property complied with applicable cleanup criteria and standards in 2001 and released the properties for unrestricted use.
No supplemental limits or institutional controls are in effect at the privately-owned site, and DOE does not require on-site monitoring or surveillance. Office of Legacy Management long-term stewardship responsibilities consist of managing FUSRAP site records and responding to stakeholder inquiries.
For more information about the Toledo FUSRAP Site, view the fact sheet.