The Federal Energy Management Program (FEMP) offers resources to help federal agencies implement utility energy service contracts (UESCs).
These resources offer helpful information about structuring sound UESC projects with sustained savings.
- Utility Energy Service Contracts Guide: Key resource for acquisition teams developing UESCs includes a compilation of samples and templates to help contracting officers implement task orders under existing U.S. General Services Administration areawide contracts.
- Performance Assurance Planning: Includes protocol and templates for emphasizing sustained performance to ensure projected savings are realized in a UESC.
- UESC Project Development Report Template: Provides resources to discuss project priorities and objectives, establish deliverables and expectations, and negotiate and document agreed-upon scope and pricing for each deliverable.
- UESCs: Enabling Documents: Presents legislative, executive, and agency mandates and legal opinions regarding UESCs and energy improvements in federal facilities.
- UESC Lessons Learned: Describes recommended best practices generated by a growing group of innovative energy managers across multiple successful projects.
- Frequently Asked Questions: Offers answers to frequently asked questions about federal UESCs.
- FEMP Utility Team Utility Energy Service Contract Scope of Support: Outlines activities and services offered by the Federal Energy Management Program (FEMP) utility team.
Are you a utility wondering how to launch a UESC program for your federal customers? FEMP's Utility Toolkit addresses the preliminary steps to prepare your stakeholders for UESCs. Starting a UESC program for your customers can involve a lot of behind-the-scenes preparation with internal utility stakeholders and resources. The toolkit addresses many aspects of planning, development, and marketing of a new UESC program and covers topics from a utility perspective that will prepare you to offer a successful UESC incentive.
Phase 1: Acquisition Planning
Documents, templates, and guidance for phase 1 of the UESC process.
- Utility Energy Service Contract Planning and Document Development Checklist
- Limited Acquisition Plan—Template
- Diversifying Project Portfolios for Utility Energy Service Contracts
- Cybersecurity Considerations for Performance Contracts
- Enhancing Performance Contracts with Monitoring-Based Commissioning (MBCx)
Phase 2: Utility Selection and Preliminary Assessment
Documents, templates, and guidance for phase 2 of the UESC process.
- Letter of Interest to Serving Utilities—Template
- Utility Selection Evaluation Factors—Sample
- Utility Selection Letter—Template
Preliminary Assessment (PA)
- Procuring Energy Management Services with the GSA Areawide Contract
- Letter of Request for PA—Template
- PA SOW—Template
Phase 3: Project Development
Documents, templates, and guidance for phase 3 of the UESC process.
Investment Grade Audit (IGA)
Task Order Development and Award
- FAR Clauses for UESCs
- Letter Requesting an FFP Offer for D&I—Template
- Business Clearance Memorandum—Sample
- Standard Form 26—Sample
- TO for D&I—Sample
- UESC TO Template
Performance Assurance Planning
- Performance Assurance Considerations for Task Order Language
- Performance Assurance Plan—Format
- Performance Assurance Protocol—Template
Establishing Escalation Rates for Financed Projects
- Guidance on Utility Rate Estimations and Weather Normalization in Performance Contracts
- Energy Escalation Rate Calculator
- Escalation Rates in Energy Savings Performance Contracts
- Energy Price Indices and Discount Factors for Life-Cycle Cost Analysis: Annual Supplement to NIST Handbook 135
Proposal Review: Task Order Financial Schedules
Phase 4: Project Implementation and Construction
Documents, templates, and guidance for phase 4 of the UESC process.
- ECM Performance Verification Checklist—Sample
- Performance Assurance Plan—Training Format
- Letter of Final Acceptance—Template
- UESC Project Reporting—Template
Phase 5: Post-Acceptance Performance
Documents, templates, and guidance for phase 5 of the UESC process.