The Office of Nuclear Safety develops and maintains nuclear safety requirements and expectations for the Department to ensure protection of its workers and the public from the hazards associated with DOE nuclear facilities and operations. The Office provides assistance to DOE Headquarters and Field Elements in implementation of policy and resolving nuclear safety, facility safety, and quality assurance (QA) issues. The Office works proactively with Headquarters and Field Offices to foster continuous improvement and nuclear safety excellence.
- Develops and maintains nuclear safety policy, requirements, and guidance in the areas of hazard and accident analysis; nuclear facility design; and operations, maintenance, training and readiness assessment.
- Establishes and maintains facility safety policies, requirements and guidance for the Department in the areas of fire protection and natural phenomena hazards that are applicable to nuclear and non-nuclear related activities.
- Establishes and maintains QA policies, requirements and guidance for the Department for both nuclear and non-nuclear related activities.
- Provides assistance to Departmental elements and contractors in the interpretation and implementation of DOE nuclear safety, facility safety, and QA requirements and in the resolution of nuclear safety, facility safety, and QA-related issues.
- Maintains effective liaison with line managers and other offices within AU and external organizations to assist in identifying and resolving site-specific and crosscutting issues and concerns related to nuclear safety, facility safety, and QA.
- Leads the Departments nuclear safety research and development activities.
- Maintains liaison with regulatory agencies and interagency and international committees with respect to nuclear safety, facility safety and QA matters.
- If requested by the Secretary, provides recommendations to the Associate Under Secretary regarding concurrence in the final decision to startup or restart a nuclear facility.
- Manages the Departments Technical Standards Program
- Fulfills the role of Standards Executive for the Department of Energy.