(Direct Report to the Director, Office of Environment, Health, Safety and Security)
The Department Representative to the Defense Nuclear Facilities Safety Board (DNFSB) provides effective cross-organizational leadership in resolving DNFSB-related technical and management issues necessary to ensure public health and safety.
- Represents the Secretary and the Deputy, Environment, Safety and Health in regular and continuing interactions with the DNFSB (and/or also referred to as Board).
- Advises the Secretary, Deputy Secretary, Under Secretaries, Director, Office of Environment, Health, Safety and Security, Secretarial Officers, and other Department executives of Board priorities, concerns, actions, and plans.
- Manages the Department's interface activities and provides direction and advice to the line on Board-related matters.
- Coordinates with affected Secretarial Officers and designates a Cognizant Secretarial Officer to respond to a Board recommendation, Board correspondence, and other Board issues.
- Facilitates implementation of the Department’s corporate issues management process for analysis and resolution of crosscutting issues from DNFSB recommendations and concerns.
- Facilitates communication and cooperation between Departmental elements and the external entities including the DNFSB and its staff.
- Reviews written communications from the Department to the DNFSB, for consistency and responsiveness.
- Serves as the initial Departmental lead for each incoming DNFSB recommendation until a Responsible Manager is identified.
- Manages the Department's Safety Issues Management System for DNFSB-related issues, commitments, and actions, as well as the Department’s Defense Nuclear Facility Hazard Categorization and Request for Information (RFI) tracking databases.
- Prepares reports on DNFSB-related activities for senior Department management, Congress, and the President.
- Maintains and provides guidance on the Department's Interface Order and Joint DOE-DNFSB Memorandum of Understanding to Departmental Points of Contact and support personnel.
- Maintains and distributes a listing of key Department personnel for DNFSB-related activities.
- Maintains the Department's central repository of official DNFSB communications and makes this information available to Department and contractor personnel.
- Coordinates Board review and comments resolution for DOE Directives of interest to the Board.