Request for Information: DOE Requests Input on Offshore Wind Research and Development Needs
The U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Wind Energy Technologies Office (WETO) is seeking information about research needed to support the growth of the domestic offshore wind industry, including supply chain expansion in currently underutilized U.S. regions. This Request for Information (RFI), released on January 18, 2024, supports the Biden-Harris administration’s goals of deploying 30 gigawatts of offshore wind by 2030 and 15 gigawatts of floating offshore wind by 2035, and achieving 100% clean electricity by 2035.
WETO seeks input from a broad range of offshore wind stakeholders and this information may be used to inform future funding opportunities.
This RFI seeks information across six categories related to U.S. offshore wind energy:
Floating Offshore Wind Platform Research and Development
- Innovation and refinements of floating platform design, manufacturing, and deployment
- Next-generation integrated offshore wind turbine and platform technologies
- Broader floating offshore wind development
Alternative Fixed-Bottom Foundation Types and Installation Techniques
- Research and technology development needed for non-monopile foundations
- Innovations needed for vessels, infrastructure, and deployment
- Improvements in the design-to-commercialization process
Technology Advancement for Bird and Bat Research Offshore
- Technology needs to monitor behavior and improve understanding of changes to foraging and use patterns by birds and bats
- Parameters for applying these technologies efficiently and effectively
Understanding Supply Chain Needs for Offshore Wind Deployment in the Great Lakes Region
- Identifying gaps and opportunities presented by the unique challenges of the Great Lakes region
Development of a Manufacturing and Supply Chain Consortium Based in the Great Lakes region
- Regional-specific information to inform the development of a supply chain and manufacturing consortium
Offshore Wind Workforce Readiness
- Employers’ workforce needs for the offshore wind industry and associated supply chain
- Workforce development strategies to support the offshore wind industry.