The following reports, papers, and websites relate to Intermediate Ethanol Blend Studies supported or partially supported by the Department of Energy since 2007 as well as relevant industry-funded materials studies and relevant EPA and Coordinating Research Council websites. This list only includes reports that are free and publically available; those published in academic journals that are not publically available are not included here. For a full bibliography, please contact Kevin Stork. Learn more about the Vehicle Technologies Office's research and testing on intermediate ethanol blends.
Vehicle-Related Studies (Chronological order)
- R. Bechtold, J. F. Thomas, S. P. Huff, J. P. Szybist, T. J. Theiss, B. H. West, M. Goodman, T. A. Timbario, Technical Issues Associated with the Use of Intermediate Ethanol Blends (>E10) in the U.S. Legacy Fleet: Assessment of Prior Studies, ORNL/TM-2007/37, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, August 2007.
- Keith Knoll, Brian West, Wendy Clark, Ronald Graves, John Orban, Steve Przesmitzki, Timothy Theiss, Effects of Intermediate Ethanol Blends on Legacy Vehicles and Small Non-Road Engines, Report 1—Updated, ORNL/TM-2008/117, February 2009.
- Brent A. Shoffner, Ryan D. Johnson, Martin J. Heimrich, and Michael D. Lochte, Powertrain Component Inspection from Mid-Level Blends Vehicle Aging Study, ORNL/TM-2011/65, Prepared by Southwest Research Institute for Oak Ridge National Laboratory, November 2010.
- C. Scott Sluder and Brian H. West, NMOG Emissions Characterizations and Estimation for Vehicles Using Ethanol-Blended Fuels, ORNL/TM-2011/461, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, October 15, 2011.
- West, Brian H., Scott Sluder, Keith Knoll, John Orban, Jingyu Feng, Intermediate Ethanol Blends Catalyst Durability Program, ORNL/TM-2011/234, February 2012.
- Vertin, Keith, Gerard Glinksy, and Aaron Reek, Comparative Emissions Testing of Vehicles Aged on E0, E15, and E20 Fuels, NREL/SR-5400-55778, August 2012.
- EPA, NREL, and CRC, EPAct/V2/E-89: Assessing the Effect of Five Gasoline Properties on Exhaust Emissions from Light-Duty Vehicles Certified to Tier 2 Standards. Final Report on Program Design and Data Collection, EPA-420-R-13-004, April 2013.
- Coordinating Research Council Reports
- Zooubul, George, Mel Cahoon, and Richard Kolb, Volvo Penta 4.3 GL E15 Emissions and Durability Test, NREL/SR-5400-52577, October 2011.
- Hilbert, David, High Ethanol Fuel Endurance: A Study of the Effects of Running Gasoline with 15% Ethanol Concentration in Current Production Outboard Four-Stroke Engines and Conventional Two-Stroke Outboard Marine Engines, NREL/SR-5400-52909, October 2011.
- Miers, Scott A., Jason R. Blough, Evaluating the Impact of E15 on Snowmobile Engine Durability and Vehicle Driveability, NREL/SR-5400-60115, August 2013.
Materials and Infrastructure
- Boyce, Kenneth, J. Thomas Chapin, Dispensing Equipment Testing With Mid-Level Ethanol/Gasoline Test Fluid: Summary Report , Underwriters Laboratories, Inc. report, November 2010.
- M. D. Kass, T. J Theiss, C. J. Janke. S. J Pawel, and S. A. Lewis, Sr., Intermediate Ethanol Blends Infrastructure Materials Compatibility Study: Elastomers, Metals, and Sealants, ORNL/TM-2010/326, March 2011.
- M. D. Kass, T. J Theiss, C. J. Janke. and S. J Pawel, Compatibility Study for Plastic, Elastomeric, and Metallic Fueling Infrastructure Materials Exposed to Aggressive Formulations of Ethanol-blended Gasoline, ORNL/TM-2012/88, July 2012.
- M. D. Kass, T. J Theiss, C. J. Janke. and S. J Pawel, Analysis of Underground Storage Tanks System Materials to Increased Leak Potential Associated with E15 Fuel, ORNL/TM-2012/182, July 2012 (Report for USEPA Office of Underground Storage Tanks).
- M. D. Kass, C. J. Janke, S. J. Pawel, J. K. Thomson, H. Meyer, and T. J. Theiss, Compatibility Study for Plastic, Elastomeric, and Metallic Fueling Infrastructure Materials Exposed to Aggressive Formulations of Isobutanol-blended Gasoline, ORNL/TM-2013/243, August 2013.
- EPA website on ethanol compatibility
DOE Merit Review Presentations
- Steve Przesmitzki and Brian West, “Mid-Level Ethanol Blends Test Program,” presented at the 2009 U.S. DOE Biomass Program Infrastructure Peer Review, March 19, 2009.
- Keith Knoll, et al., “Mid-Level Ethanol Blends Test Program,” presented at the 2009 U.S. DOE Hydrogen Program and Vehicle Technologies Program Annual Merit Review and Peer Evaluation Meeting, May 19, 2009.
- Brian West, et al., “Mid-Level Ethanol Blends Test Program,” presented at the 2010 U.S. DOE Hydrogen Program and Vehicle Technologies Program Annual Merit Review and Peer Evaluation Meeting, June 9, 2010.
- Brian West, et al., “Intermediate Ethanol Blends Testing - Program Overview and Vehicle Testing,”presented at the 2011 U.S. DOE Biomass Infrastructure Review Meeting, February 2011.
- Tim Theiss, et al., “Preliminary Results from the ORNL Infrastructure Materials Compatibility Study” presented at the 2011 U.S. DOE Biomass Infrastructure Review Meeting, February 2011.
- Kristi Moriarty and Wendy Clark, “NREL UL Fuel Dispensing Infrastructure Intermediate Blends Performance Testing” presented at the 2011 U.S. DOE Biomass Infrastructure Review Meeting, February 2011.