Office: Advanced Manufacturing Office
Funding Number: DE-FOA-0002804
Funding Amount: Up to $104 million
Number of Awards Anticipated: Multiple
On September 7, the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) announced the “Industrial Efficiency and Decarbonization FOA”—a funding opportunity announcement (FOA) that will support DOE’s efforts to decarbonize the U.S. industrial sector and move the U.S. towards a net-zero economy by 2050. This $104 million funding opportunity advances decarbonization technologies that will reduce the carbon footprint of the industrial sector. Projects funded under the FOA will drive the transformational technology and innovation necessary to reduce industrial greenhouse gas emissions.
The “Industrial Efficiency and Decarbonization FOA” incorporates the topics and recommendations identified in the “Industrial Decarbonization Roadmap,” applying the four industrial decarbonization pathways to energy-intensive industries where decarbonization technologies could have the greatest impact.
- Decarbonizing Chemicals –This topic will focus on unit operations, including advanced separations and advanced reactors, and alternative production and process heating technologies to reduce carbon impacts from the production of high-volume chemicals.
- Decarbonizing Iron and Steel –This topic will focus on advancements that enable decarbonization in ore-based or scrap-based iron and steelmaking operations, and that convert other existing iron and steelmaking ancillary and thermal processes to use clean fuels or electricity.
- Decarbonizing Food and Beverage Products – This topic will focus on innovative technologies that decarbonize process heating operations within the food and beverage sector.
- Decarbonizing Cement and Concrete – This topic will focus on next generation cement formulations and process routes, utilization of low carbon fuels, and carbon capture technologies.
- Decarbonizing Paper and Forest Products – This topic will focus on novel paper and wood drying technologies, and innovative pulping and paper forming technologies.
- Cross-sector Decarbonization Technologies – This topic will focus on innovations in low temperature waste heat to power, thermal energy storage, and industrial heat pump technologies.
Visit EERE Exchange for updates.
Submission Deadline for Concept Papers:
October 12, 2022
Submission Deadline for Full Applications:
January 4, 2023
Submit your email address below to receive the latest AMO news and events.