What We Do
The Geothermal Technologies Office researches, develops, and validates innovative and cost-competitive technologies and tools to locate, access, and develop geothermal resources in the United States.
We work in partnership with industry, academia, and DOE's national laboratories on research and development activities focused on these areas:
Why it Matters
Geothermal energy, a virtually untapped energy resource derived from the earth's heat, is more vital today than ever—it supplies clean, renewable power around the clock, emits little or no greenhouse gases, and takes a very small environmental footprint to develop. By developing, demonstrating, and deploying innovative technologies, GTO's efforts are helping stimulate the growth of the geothermal industry within the renewable energy sector and encouraging quick adoption of technologies by the public and private sectors.
Accelerate Near Term Hydrothermal Growth
- Lower risks and costs of development and exploration
- Lower levelized cost of electricity (LCOE) to 6 cents/kWh by 2020
- Accelerate development of 30 GWe of undiscovered hydrothermal resources
Secure the Future with Enhanced Geothermal Systems (EGS)
- Demonstrate 5 MW reservoir creation by 2020
- Lower LCOE to 6 cents/kWh by 2030