The Federal Energy Management Program (FEMP) and other organizations offer resources to help federal agencies manage vehicle fleets and increase the use of alternative fuels.
To help federal fleet managers and other stakeholders more easily access and better understand the array of online fleet management tools, the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) and General Services Administration (GSA) categorized these tools into a downloadable matrix. The matrix explains what the tools do, what outputs they provide, and other details. These tools, and additional online resources, are also linked below.
- Acquisition Gateway: GSA tool that supports the overall government-wide category management initiative to consolidate information from government agencies related to federal spending in one centralized location.
- AFLEET: DOE and Argonne National Laboratory tool that analyzes the environmental and economic costs of fleets, comparing alternative fuel vehicles (AFVs) to petroleum counterparts, showing cost of ownership based on varying fuel prices, financing, maintenance, externality costs of pollution, and other sensitivities.
- Alternative Fuel Vehicles: GSA website lists GSA Fleet resources for acquiring AFVs to help meet federal sustainability requirements.
- Alternative Fuels Data Center (AFDC): DOE’s wide range of information and tools support the use of alternative fuels in addition to other petroleum reduction options such as advanced vehicles, fuel blends, idle reduction, and fuel economy.
- Alternative Fueling Station Locator: AFDC tool displaying verified public and private fueling stations by proximity to an address or ZIP code, or along a driving route.
- E85 Prices: E85 fuel pricing application compares fuel prices at the pump.
- EISA-Compliant Vehicles: EPA resource lists vehicles (by model year) that comply with EISA Section 141 low greenhouse gas (GHG)-emission requirements, along with federal agency EISA 141 compliance levels and statutory guidance.
- Ethanol Fueling Infrastructure Development: Information for fleet managers interested in installing E85 infrastructure.
- Ethanol Retailer: Resources to help fuel retailers understand how to sell higher blends of ethanol.
- FedFMS: GSA's fleet management system helps federal agencies store, track, and report on their agency-owned vehicle fleet.
- Federal Automotive Statistical Tool (FAST): DOE, GSA, and Idaho National Laboratory compliance reporting tool with information from federal agencies on vehicle inventories, fleet locations, fleet costs and mileage, fuel consumption, and fueling infrastructure.
- Federal Fleet Open Data Visualization: GSA OGP tool that allows fleet managers to recreate the data from the yearly FAST report in a more visual fashion and incorporate trends over previous years.
- Fleet Drive-thru: GSA’s customer-facing fleet management reporting tool helps agencies obtain information and fleet-specific training on their GSA Fleet leased vehicles.
- FleetDASH: DOE and National Renewable Energy Laboratory tool that encourages fleet managers to increase alternative fuel utilization by tracking missed opportunities to fuel dual-fuel vehicles on alternative fuel. Fleet managers can also track vehicle fueling locations and identify underutilized vehicles, overlapping routes, and good opportunities for electric vehicles (EVs).
- Green Vehicle Guide: U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) overview of vehicles that are more efficient and less polluting.
- GSA Vehicle Leasing: Overview of GSA vehicle leasing processes and guidelines for federal agency fleets.
- Petroleum Reduction Planning Tool (PReP): AFDC tool that allows fleets to create a comprehensive plan for reducing petroleum consumption and GHG emissions.
- Plug Share: Map displaying public and private electric vehicle charging stations.
- Route Planning Tool: AFDC route planning tool leverages alternative fueling stations along a driving route.
- Telematics Data Parameters and Fleet Management Applications: NREL checklist helps fleet managers evaluate vehicle telematics system data parameters and potential fleet management applications.
- TransAtlas: AFDC interactive map displays existing and planned alternative fueling stations, alternative fuel production facilities, and light-duty vehicle densities.
- Vehicle Cost Calculator: AFDC tool compares total cost of ownership (TCO) and well to wheels emissions among different vehicle models, including AFVs.
- Vehicle Purchasing Overview: Overview of GSA vehicle buying processes and guidelines for federal agency fleets.
- Workplace Charging at Federal Facilities: DOE's reference for federal agencies interested in workplace plug-in electric vehicle (PEV) charging stations, including federal authorization, guidance, and other resources.
The following newsletters from federal agencies and private industry contain the latest in vehicle and fuel management technologies and practices.
- Alternative Fuel Price Report: Quarterly Clean Cities newsletter covers the regional average price of alternative fuels in the United States in relation to gasoline and diesel prices.
- Clean Cities Now: Semi-annual Clean Cities publication showcases program activities, accomplishments, and resources, and highlights the successes of Clean Cities’ nearly 100 coalitions as they work to reduce petroleum use in transportation.
- Energy Saver Blog: Blog provided by the DOE Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EERE) discussing energy issues, including transportation management.
- EPAct State and Alternative Fuel Provider Fleets Newsletter: Annual electronic newsletter that provides fleet managers and stakeholders with updates about the State and Alternative Fuel Provider Fleet Program and EPAct requirements.
- E-Blog: Renewable Fuels Association blog covering the ethanol industry.
The following conferences provide federal agencies with education, training, and networking opportunities related to fleet and fuel management:
DOE Regional Workshops: One-day workshops offered by the EPAct State and Alternative Fuel Provider Fleet Program to facilitate collaboration among alternative fuel stakeholders and spur infrastructure development.
Energy Exchange: Organized by FEMP, this educational and networking forum helps federal employees expand their knowledge of building operations, energy and fleet management, and sustainability practices.
FedFleet: GSA hosts FedFleet training sessions each year at the Washington Auto Show. FedFleet is a no-cost event for federal employees with valid federal identification. Because FedFleet is held in conjunction with the Washington Auto Show (a nongovernment site), registering for the training provides you with private access to the auto show and exhibitor floors.
Government Fleet Expo and Conference: Conference for managers of government fleets featuring valuable workshops, certifications, panels, and roundtable discussions.
Green Truck Summit: National conference on the latest technologies and fuels for medium- and heavy-duty vehicles and buses.
NAFA Annual Institute & Expo: Fleet management resources, products, training, and education opportunities organized by the National Association of Fleet Administrators (NAFA).
National Biodiesel Conference and Expo: Conference and exposition for biodiesel marketers, feedstock growers, fuel distributors, Government leaders, and biodiesel users.
National Ethanol Conference: Conference with opportunities for industry interaction, networking, and education on marketing and policy issues impacting the U.S. ethanol industry.