Home Energy Information Accelerator
You are here
Lead Performer: U.S. Department of Energy – Washington, D.C.
Funding Type: Direct Funded
Program Website: http://www1.eere.energy.gov/buildings/betterbuildings/accelerators/energ...
The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) is expanding the Better Buildings initiative to engage leaders in a set of Better Buildings Accelerators. These accelerators are designed to demonstrate specific innovative policies and approaches, which upon successful demonstration will increase investment in energy efficiency across our homes, buildings, and industrial facilities. As a collaborative effort among national organizations, federal agencies, and regional, state, and local leaders in real estate and energy efficiency, the Home Energy Information Accelerator is designed to expand the availability and use of reliable home energy information at relevant points in residential real estate transactions. Accelerator partners will develop and demonstrate replicable, sustainable approaches that make energy related information – important data for the home buying process – easily available to homebuyers through multiple listing services (MLS) and other reports.
Home Energy Information Accelerator will work to:
- Develop and expand the pipeline of reliable home energy information from residential energy efficiency and energy performance programs (e.g., Home Energy Scores, Zero Energy Ready Homes, ENERGY STAR Homes, Green Button data).
- Develop and implement streamlined system(s) that leverage existing data standards and protocols and “close the loop” by enabling the automated flow of voluntary home energy information from credible sources (e.g., efficiency programs, contractors) to relevant users (e.g., MLSs, property record aggregators, real estate agents, appraisers, lenders, underwriters, public records databases).
- Promote targeted outreach and training efforts for key stakeholders (e.g., efficiency contractors, real estate agents, appraisers, lenders, home inspectors, homeowners and homebuyers) regarding how to produce, access, and use home energy information throughout the real estate transaction process.
- Create resources to help other communities nationwide to replicate successful approaches identified by Accelerator partners.
- Recognize champions, highlight their successes and encourage adoption of best practices.
Home Energy Information Accelerator will develop and demonstrate replicable, sustainable approaches that make energy related information – important data for the home buying process – easily available to home buyers and sellers through multiple listing service (MLS) and other reports.
DOE Technology Manager: Joan Glickman