Events, News, and Announcements
Please stay tuned for more updates as DOE continues to develop this resource!
Vision and Strategy
The following are the U.S. Department of Energy's (DOE) critical minerals and materials vision and strategies.
Reliable, resilient, affordable, diverse, sustainable, and secure domestic critical mineral and materials supply chains that support the clean energy transition and decarbonization of the energy, manufacturing, and transportation economies while promoting safe, sustainable, economic, and environmentally just solutions to meet current and future needs.
- Diversify & Expand Supply: Diversify and expand supplies of critical minerals and materials from varying sources while minimizing waste and increasing techno-economic coproduction of materials. Coproduction refers to cases where many materials are produced together, each bringing in similar revenues rather than one material accounting for an overwhelming majority of revenue.
- Develop Alternatives: Innovate alternative materials and/or manufacturing components.
- Materials and Manufacturing Efficiency: Use and process materials efficiently across the entire supply chain and lifecycle.
- Circular Economy: Remanufacture, refurbish, repair, reuse, recycle, and repurpose.
- Enabling Activities: Cross-cutting functions, such as criticality assessments, stockpiling, advanced theoretical, computational, and experimental tools.
DOE Critical Minerals & Materials Strategies and Assessments
- Domestic Wastes and Byproducts: A Resource for Critical Material Supply Chains
- Materials Used in U.S. Wind Energy Technologies: Quantities and Availability for Two Future Scenarios
- Renewable Energy Materials Properties Database: Summary
- Pre-Publication Copy of Notice of Final Determination on 2023 DOE Critical Materials List
- Request for Information on DOE's Critical Materials Research Program
- Recovery of Rare Earth Elements and Critical Materials from Coal and Coal Byproducts
- America's Strategy to Secure the Supply Chain for a Robust Clean Energy Transition
- Building Resilient Supply Chains, Revitalizing American Manufacturing, and Fostering Broad-Based Growth: Review of Large Capacity Batteries
- Battery Critical Materials Supply Chain Challenges and Opportunities: Results of the 2020 Request for Information and Workshop
- Critical Materials Rare Earths Supply Chain: A Situational White Paper
Energy Act of 2020