The U.S. Department of Energy recently announced first-of-its-kind investments to make clean energy improvements at K-12 public schools. Funds will position school districts to make upgrades that will lower facilities’ energy costs and foster healthier learning environments for students.
Schools can now apply for the first round of the Renew America's Schools grant, up to $80 million of the $500 million program, to make energy improvements especially in the highest-need districts across the country. The Energy Champions Leading the Advancement of Sustainable Schools Prize (Energy CLASS Prize) program is also accepting applications for up to 25 local education agencies to receive $100,000 to staff and train select administration and facilities personnel as energy managers.
- School Needs and Benefits Assessment Resources - A compiled list of resources to support development of a baseline energy needs assessment. The tutorial video below demonstrates how DOE's resources may be combined to develop a baseline energy needs assessment.
- Financing Efficient and Healthy Retrofits - A resource for more information on solutions to access capital and finance energy efficiency projects in schools.
- Efficient and Healthy Schools Campaign - A national campaign aimed at engaging K-12 schools to reduce energy costs and improve energy performance and indoor air quality.
- Better Buildings Initiative Resource for K-12 School Districts - An initiative that partners with leaders in many sectors, including school districts, to make the nation's buildings more energy efficient by accelerating investments and sharing successful best practices.
Subscribe for more information about the Grants for Energy Improvements at Public School Facilities Program.
Consortium of One Local Education Agency and one or more Schools, Non-Profits, For-Profits, and Community Partners
Period of Availability:
Available until expended
Energy efficiency (envelope, HVAC, lighting, controls, etc.), ventilation, renewable energy, alternative vehicles, and alternative fuel vehicle infrastructure improvements.
- The deadline for required concept papers for the Renew America's Schools grant is January 26, 2023. Submitting a concept paper is required for submitting an eligible, full application. Full applications are due April 21, 2023.
- Applications for the Energy CLASS Prize are open now through February 28, 2023.