Held over a decade ago, presentations from the 2010 Long-Term Stewardship (LTS) Conference provide perspective on how long-term stewardship has changed over time. In many cases, applying lessons learned is what has driven changes in long-term stewardship, as the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) continuously improves. While some of the material contained in the presentations is out of date, the lessons learned remain valid.
Below is a selection of 2010 LTS Conference presentations that include material relevant to lessons learned and observations.
Continuing Missions Sites
- Long-Term Stewardship at NNSA Sites, Robert C. Fleming, National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA).
Stakeholder Interaction at Closed Sites
- Weldon Spring Site, Weldon Spring, Missouri, Kevin Wideman, Missouri Department of Transportation.
Stakeholder Perspectives Panel — Engaging the Community through Consultation, Coordination, and Communication
- Stewardship on the Oak Ridge Reservation, Ron Murphree, Oak Ridge Advisory Board.
- Long-Term Stewardship of Uranium Mills in the United States Regulatory Issues, Keith McConnell, Office of Federal and State Materials and Environmental.
- Environmental Covenants and Restrictive Notices in Colorado, Gary W. Baughman, Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment.
Lessons Learned from Large- and Small-Site Transitions
- Lessons Learned from Site Transition, Sue L. Smiley, DOE Office of Environmental Management.
- Lessons Learned Small Site Transition/Transfer, Tom Gieck, Umetco Minerals Corporation.
- Lessons Learned from Small Sites Transitions, Tracy Ribeiro, DOE Office of Legacy Management (LM).
Partnerships with Native American Stakeholders
- The Hopi Tribe UMTRA Project, Norman Honie, Hopi Uranium Mill Tailings Remedial Action (UMTRA) Project.
- Uranium Mining and Milling: Legacies and Remediation, An Overview of IAEA Activities, Russel Edge, International Atomic Energy Agency.
Sustainability and Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Lessons Learned
- Sustainability and Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED), Lessons Learned from the Fernald Preserve Visitors Center, Frank Johnston, S.M. Stoller Corporation.
- Institutional Controls Featuring the Pinellas Site, Jack Craig, LM.
- Lessons Learned for Institutional Controls at the Weldon Spring Site, Jane Powell, LM.