Are you the next Office of Fossil Energy and Carbon Management (FECM) All Star? FECM is looking for enthusiastic, driven professionals to join our team and be a part of the clean energy revolution. We are seeking highly skilled individuals who are passionate about helping FECM achieve its mission, which is focused on minimizing the environmental impacts of fossil fuels and industrial processes while working toward net-zero emissions.
FECM’s programs lead research, development, demonstration, and deployment efforts to advance technologies to reduce carbon emissions and other environmental impacts of fossil fuel production and use, particularly the hardest-to-decarbonize applications in the electricity and industrial sectors.
We are playing a leading role in the clean energy transition, and we want you to be a part of our team. We encourage you to find out more about FECM’s career opportunities and apply today.
FECM Job Opportunities
|POSITION TITLE||GRADE||OFFICE||OPENING||CLOSING||DUTY LOCATION||RECRUITMENT SOURCE|
|Advanced Energy Materials Program Manager (Interdisciplinary General Engineer/Physical Scientist)||GS-14||Hydrogen with Carbon Management||Closed||Closed||Remote||USAJobs|
|Mineralization Concepts Program Manager (Interdisciplinary General Engineer/Physical Scientist)||GS-14 or 15||CO2 Removal||8/29/2023||9/26/2023||Determined upon selection||USAJobs|
|Direct Air Capture Program Manager (Interdisciplinary General Engineer/Physical Scientist)||GS-14 or 15||CO2 Removal||8/29/2023||9/26/2023||Determined upon selection||USAJobs|
|Advanced Turbines Program Manager (Interdisciplinary General Engineer/Physical Scientist)||GS-14 or 15||Hydrogen with Carbon Management||Soon||Soon||Determined upon selection||USAJobs|
|Division Director, Strategic Engagement (Supervisory Interdisciplinary General Engineer/Physical Scientist)||GS-15||Strategic Engagement||Closed||Closed||Remote||USAJobs|
|Division Director, Carbon Transport and Storage (Supervisory Interdisciplinary General Engineer/Physical Scientist)||GS-15||Carbon Transport and Storage||Closed||Closed||Remote||USAJobs|
|Point Source Carbon Capture Research, Development, and Demonstration (RD&D) Program Manager (Interdisciplinary General Engineer/Physical Scientist)||GS-15||Point Source Carbon Capture||Soon||Soon||Determined Upon Selection||USAJobs|
|Chief Operating Officer and Director, Laboratory Operations||ES 00||National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL)||Closed||Closed||Pittsburgh, PA/Morgantown, WV/Albany, OR||USAJobs|
|Interdisciplinary Engineer/Physical Scientist||GS-13 or 14||Strategic Engagement||Closed||Closed||Remote||Clean Energy Corps|
|Director National Energy Technology Laboratory||ES 00||National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL)||Closed||Closed||Pittsburgh, PA/Morgantown, WV/Albany, OR||USAJobs|
|Interdisciplinary General Engineer/Physical Scientist (Direct Air Capture Hubs)||GS-11, 12, or 13||Carbon Management Technologies/Carbon Dioxide (CO2) Removal||Closed||Closed||Remote||Clean Energy Corps|
|Subsurface Resource Management Expert (Interdisciplinary General Engineer/Physical Scientist)||GS-13 or 14||Carbon Transport and Storage||Closed||Closed||Remote||Clean Energy Corps|
|Regional Direct Air Capture Hubs Program Manager (General Engineer)||GS-15||CO2 Removal||9/5/2023||9/26/2023||Determined Upon Selection||Clean Energy Corps|
|Carbon Utilization Program Manager (Interdisciplinary General Engineer/Physical Scientist)||GS-14 or 15||Carbon Conversion||8/28/2023||9/26/2023||Remote||USAJobs|
|Director, Minerals Sustainaibility (Interdisciplinary Supervisory General Engineer or Physical Scientist||GS-15||Minerals Sustainability||Soon||Soon||Washington, D.C.||USAJobs|
FAQ ABOUT FEDERAL EMPLOYMENT
FECM employees are our greatest asset and will help us accomplish our mission. If you are considering employment with our team, the following information may be helpful:
DO YOU HAVE MORE CAREER RESOURCES?
We do! The links below provide more information.
Federal Employment Resources:
- Careers at Energy: The Department of Energy (DOE) jobs portal provides information about benefits, employee profile videos, the types of positions available in DOE, and more.
- USAJobs.gov: USAJobs.gov provides listings of employment opportunities across the federal government, including positions that are:
- Open to the Public
- Veterans’ Employment: This website can help you understand the veterans’ preference in filling federal jobs and helps veterans find jobs. DOE specific information for Veterans.
- Military Spouses: If you're a military spouse, you may be eligible to apply using a non-competitive process designed to help you get a job in the federal government.
- National Guard & Reserves: If you’re a member of the National Guard, or are willing and able to join the National Guard, you may be eligible to apply for federal jobs located within a National Guard unit.
- Students & Recent Graduates: If you’re a current student or recent graduate, you may be eligible for federal internships and job opportunities through the Pathways and other student programs.
- Senior Executives: The Senior Executive Service (SES) consists of executive positions, including managerial, supervisory, and policy positions classified above General Schedule (GS) grade 15 or equivalent positions in most Executive Branch agencies of the federal government.
- Individuals with Disabilities: If you're an individual with a disability, you can apply and compete for any job for which you are eligible and meet the qualifications, but you also may be eligible for a special hiring authority.
- Family of Overseas Employees: The federal government offers several hiring programs for family members of federal employees or uniformed service members, who are working or have worked overseas.
- Native Americans: If you're an American Indian or an Alaskan Native who is a member of one of the federally recognized tribes, you may be eligible for Indian Preference.
- Peace Corps & AmeriCops VISTA: If you served with the Peace Corps or AmeriCorps VISTA as a volunteer or volunteer leader, you may qualify for non-competitive eligibility. This means that a federal agency can hire you outside of the usual competitive examining process.
- Intergovernmental Personnel Act Mobility Program: This program enables temporary assignment of personnel across the federal, state, local, and tribal governments, colleges and universities, federally funded research and development centers, and other eligible organizations.
- Detail and Transfer to International Organizations: A federal agency such as DOE may send an employee on detail—a temporary assignment—or transfer an employee to any organization that the Department of State has designated an international organization. This U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) page answers questions about the process.
WHAT IS A GS PAY SCALE?
GS stands for General Schedule, which is a classification and pay system for most civilian white-collar federal employees in professional, technical, administrative, and clerical positions. Federal employees within the GS may receive an annual cost of living increase.
Within the GS system, there are 15 grades, with 10 steps within each grade. Step increases in each grade are based on performance and longevity. Learn more about GS classification and pay.
WHAT IS THE SES PAY SYSTEM?
The Senior Executive Service (SES) is a performance-based pay system. The SES pay range has a minimum rate of basic pay equal to 120 percent of the rate for GS-15, step 1, and a maximum rate of basic pay equal to the rate for Level III of the Executive Schedule. Learn more about the SES.
WHAT BENEFITS DO FEDERAL EMPLOYEES RECEIVE?
HOW MANY FEDERAL HOLIDAYS do employees get per year?
Sign up to receive the latest FECM career opportunities delivered straight to your inbox!