Where to Find Funding

You can find EERE funding opportunities on the EERE Exchange or GRANTS.gov websites. Carefully review each FOA's eligibility section to determine if you can apply.  Eligible applicants include educational institutions, non-profits, for-profit businesses, and research organizations.

Low-income individuals may be interested in the Weatherization Assistance Program. Note that EERE does not provide direct assistance to homeowners or low-income individuals for assistance on energy bills or weatherization activities.

Businesses may be interested in the Database of State Incentives for Renewables and Efficiency.

Consumers may be interested in the Energy Saver website for tips to increase home energy efficiency. Energy Saver also has a section on incentives and financing for energy-efficient homes.

State governments may be interested in EERE's State Energy Program. EERE also manages formula grants for state and local government energy projects. Funding formulas are set by federal statute.

Small businesses may be interested in DOE's Small Business Innovation Research and Small Business Technology Transfer Research (SBIR/STTR) programs.

Other opportunities for researchers include:

What Funding is Available?

September 9, 2014 - Marykate O'Brien, Bio Process Engineer at NREL, monitors automated processes using NREL's computer control screens at the Biorefinery Research Facility in Golden, CO.
Photo by Dennis Schroeder

EERE primarily supports research and development (R&D) on energy efficiency and renewable energy technologies. Some EERE programs may have limited  funding for education or outreach activities. See below for other sources of funding.

The Department of Energy supports many grant programs. Learn more about these funding programs and how they can help you.




Other Types of Funding

In addition to EERE Funding Opportunity Announcements (FOA), there are other types of financial opportunities such as the following:


A formal written agreement the government uses to obtain goods and services for the benefit of the federal government.

Cooperative Research and Development Agreement (CRADA)

A Cooperative Research and Development Agreement or CRADA is an agreement between a government laboratory and a private party to work together on the research and development of new technologies. 

Formula Grant

A type of mandatory grant awarded to state and local governments based on statistical criteria for specific types of work. The authorizing legislation and regulations define these statistical criteria and the amount of funds to be distributed.

Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR)/Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) Award

Congressional program requiring eligible agencies to set aside a percentage of their budget for domestic small business to engage in R&D with a strong potential for technology commercialization.

Technology Investment Agreement (TIA)

A special type of agreement or assistance transaction to reduce barriers preventing some for companies from applying.

Unsolicited Proposal

Proposals that are submitted with innovative ideas and research that are not submitted to an open Funding Opportunity Announcement. In rare cases, funding may be provided non-competitively through the DOE unsolicited proposal process.