The Federal Energy Management Program (FEMP) provides agencies with guidance and direction on how to increase water efficiency and reduce water use in federal buildings and campuses.
The key water-related requirements are contained in the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 and the Energy Policy Act of 2005. Learn more about water efficiency requirements.
Agencies are also required to include water-efficient elements in new construction per the Guiding Principles for Sustainable Federal Buildings.
Start improving facility water management by following these steps.
- Understand water metering: See the prioritization guide for building water meter applications and water meter selection guidelines.
Investigate water end-uses using FEMP’s Water Evaluation Data Tool, which provides a method for collecting comprehensive water data during a building and campus walk-through survey.
- Determine end-use water consumption by following these guidelines.
- Improve equipment operation by following technical operations and maintenance guidelines on common water equipment.
- Screen for water efficiency project ideas using the Water Project Screening Tool.
- Browse water efficiency best management practices and water-efficient technology opportunities for project ideas.