The 2015 Department of Energy (DOE) Building Technologies Office (BTO) Peer Review was held April 14-16, 2015 in Vienna, Virginia. This third annual review encompassed many of BTO's active research, development, demonstration and deployment projects. Independent experts assessed the progress and contributions of each project toward BTO's mission and goals, and these assessments will be used to enhance the management of existing efforts, gauge the effectiveness of projects, and design future programs. The meeting also provides an opportunity to promote collaborations, partnerships, and technology transfers.
Please contact email@example.com with any questions
2015 Program Peer Review Report
Read the 2015 Building Technologies Office Program Peer Review Report.
2015 Program Peer Review Presentations
- Building Technologies Office Overview, Roland Risser, U.S. Department of Energy
- Appliance Standards Program Overview, John Cymbalsky, U.S. Department of Energy
- Commercial Buildings Integration Program Overview, Kristen Tadonnio, U.S. Department of Energy
- Emerging Technologies Program Overview, Pat Phelan, U.S. Department of Energy
- Residential Buildings Integration Program Overview, David Lee, U.S. Department of Energy
- Building Energy Codes Program Overview, David Cohan, U.S. Department of Energy
Building Energy Codes Presentations
- Codes Program Overview, David Cohan, DOE
- Codes Portfolio, Bing Liu, PNNL
- Chinese New Commercial Building Energy Standard, Mark Levine, LBNL
Commercial Buildings Presentations
- Improving Code Compliance with Change of Occupancy Retrofits, Jennifer Senick, Rutgers
- Market Engagement Overview, Kristen Taddonio, U.S. Department of Energy
- DOE Technology Performance Exchange, Daniel Studer, NREL
- Aligning Owners and Service Providers, Leslie Billhymer, University of Pennsylvania
- Benchmarking Analytics Tools, Clinton Andrews, Rutgers University
- Improving Benchmarking Data Quality, Scott Wagner, Pennsylvania State University (PSU)
- Stakeholder Engagement Support for the Better Buildings Energy Data Accelerator, Erica Cochran, Carnegie-Mellon University
- Enhancing OpenStudio for Airflow and Daylight Modeling, John Messner, PSU
- Collaborative Approaches for Integrated Energy Retrofits, John Messner, PSU
Sensors and Controls
- Sensors and Controls Overview, Marina Sofos, U.S. Department of Energy
- AHU FDD in Small and Medium Sized Commercial Buildings, Jin Wen, Drexel
- Coordinating RTUs in Small and Medium Sized Commercial Buildings, James Braun, Purdue University
- FDD for Advanced RTUs, Mikhail Gorbounov, United Technologies Research Center
- Pre-Commercial Demonstration of Cost-effective Advanced HVAC Controls and Diagnostics for Medium-sized Buildings, Draguna Vrabie, United Technologies Research Center
- Transitioning Technology to the Market, Tim Wagner, UTRC
- Virtual Refrigerant Charge Sensing and Load Metering, James Braun, Purdue University
Small Commercial Buildings
- Small Commercial Buildings Overview, Cody Taylor, U.S. Department of Energy
- Architecture 2030 District Toolkit, Cindy Regnier, LBNL
- America Saves! Energizing Main Street’s Small Businesses, Sara Stiltner, National Trust for Historic Preservation
- Advanced Commercial Buildings Initiative, Sydney Roberts, Southface Energy Institute
- Small Market Advanced Retrofit Transformation Program, Colin Clark, Ecology Action
- Crowdsourced Microfinance for Energy Efficiency in Underserved Communities, Donnel Baird, BlocPower
Technology Demonstration & Deployment
- Technology Demonstration and Deployment Overview, Amy Jiron, U.S. Department of Energy
- Commercial Refrigeration Fan Applications, Patrick Piper, QM Power, Inc.
- Demonstrate Underutilized micro-CHP , Kris Jorgensen, A.O. Smith
- Predictive Energy Optimization, Michael Nark, BuildingIQ, Inc.
- HVAC Load Reduction Retrofits, Amnon Tamir, enVerid Systems
- Advanced Lighting Controls, Gabe Arnold, Northeast Energy Efficiency Partnerships
- NYC Office Demonstration, Eleanor Lee, LBNL
- Getting Beyond Widgets, Cindy Regnier, LBNL
- High Performance Active Perimeter Building Systems, Eleanor Lee, LBNL
- Demonstrating On-Bill Financing to Encourage Deep Retrofits, Rudy Terry, Philadelphia Industrial Development Corp.
- Lessons Learned from Integrated Retrofits in Small and Medium Sized Commercial Buildings, Mark Stutman, PSU
- Using DOE Tools, Erica Cochran, Carnegie Mellon University
- Packaged Masonry Wall Retrofit Solution for Small and Medium Sized Commercial Buildings, Mugdha Mokashi, Bayer Materials
- HVAC Packages for Small and Medium Sized Commercial Buildings, Russell Taylor, United Technologies Research Center
- Workforce Overview, Monica Neukomm, U.S. Department of Energy
- Broker Training - Placing Value on Energy Retrofits , Susan Wachter, University of Pennsylvania
- Building Retuning Training, Lisa Shulock, PSU
- Career Pathways for the Energy Retrofit Workforce, Lisa Shulock, PSU
Emerging Technologies Presentations
Building Energy Modeling
- Building Energy Modeling Overview, Amir Roth, U.S. Department of Energy
- Modeling and Simulation of Human Behavior in Buildings, Tianzhen Hong, LBNL
- Simulation and Modeling, Phil Haves, LBNL
HVAC, Water Heating, and Appliances
- HVAC, Water Heating, and Appliances Overview, Tony Bouza, U.S. Department of Energy
- Natural Gas Fired AC and Heat Pump, Paul Schwartz, Thermolift
- High Performance Commercial Cold Climate Heat Pump (CCCHP), Ahmad Mahmoud, United Technologies Research Center
- Miniaturized Air to Refrigerant Heat Exchangers, Reinhard Radermacher, University of Maryland
- Low-Cost Gas Heat Pump For Building Space Heating, Michael Garrabrant, Stone Mountain Technologies
- Residential Cold Climate Heat Pump with Variable Speed Technology, Craig Messmer, Unico, Inc.
- Rotating Heat Exchanger Technology for Residential HVAC, Terry Johnson, SNL
- Heat Pump Water Heater Using Solid-State Energy Converters, Uttam Ghoshal, Sheetak Inc.
- Advanced Hybrid Water-heater using ECC, Bamdad Bahar, Xergy Inc.
- Solid-State Lighting Overview, Jim Brodrick, U.S. Department of Energy
- Solid-State Lighting Luminaire Reliability Model, Lynn Davis, RTI International
- Print-based Manufacturing of Integrated, Low Cost, High Performance SSL Luminaries, Sri Nimma, EATON Corporation
- Development and Industrialization of InGaN/GaN LEDs on Patterned Sapphire Substrates for Low Cost Emitter Architecture, Joseph Flemish, Philips
- Innovative High-Performance Deposition Technology for Low-Cost Manufacturing of OLED Lighting, John Hamer, OLEDWorks, LLC
- Manufacturing Process for OLED Integrated Substrate, Cheng-Hung Hung, PPG Industries
- Scalable Light Module for Low-Cost, High Efficiency LED Luminaires, Paul Fini, Cree Inc.
Sensors, Controls, and Grid Integration
- Sensors and Controls Overview, Marina Sofos, U.S. Department of Energy
- RCx Sensors Suitcase (CBI/ET Open Call), Michael Brambley and Jessica Granderson, PNNL and LBNL
- VOLTTRON Commercialization (CBI/ET Open Call), Srinivas Katipamula, PNNL
- Monitoring and Benchmarking, Paul Mathew, LBNL
- Microgrid Equipment Selection and Control, Wei Feng, LBNL
- Controls and Communication Integration, Rich Brown, LBNL
- Grid Connected Functionalities, Dane Christensen, NREL
Windows and Building Envelope
- Windows and Building Envelope Overview, Bahman Habibzadeh, U.S. Department of Energy
- High R Smart Window Pella, Robert Hart, LBNL
- Acoustic Building Infiltration Measurement System (ABIMS), Ralph Muehleisen, ANL
- Vacuum Insulation for Windows, Lin Simpson, NREL
- Dynamically Responsive IR Window Coatings, Kyle Alvine, PNNL
- Fluorescent Pigments for High Performance Cool Roofing and Facades, Mike Zalich, PPG Industries
- A New Generation of Building Insulation by Foaming Polymer Blend Materials, Arthur Jing-Min Yang, ISTN, Inc.
- Low-Cost Near Infrared Selective Plasmonic Smart Windows, Guillermo Garcia, Heliotrope Technologies
- High-Efficiency Solar Cogeneration with TPV & Fiber-Optic Daylighting, Joseph DiMasi, Creative Light Source, Inc.
- Window Attachments (Fenestration Software Tools), Charlie Curcija, LBNL
Residential Buildings Presentations
- Building America Overview, Eric Werling, U.S. Department of Energy
- Energy Efficiency Potential Mapping (Analysis & Tools for Building America and Industry), Scott Horowitz, NREL
- Building America Total Quality Management, Stacey Rothgeb, NREL
- HVAC Lab Research, Jeffrey Munk, ORNL
- Building America, Building Science Consortium, Joe Lstiburek, Building Science Corp.
- Building America, High Performance Factory Built Housing, Jordan Dentz, Levy Partnership
Sign up to receive news, events and funding opportunities.