The U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE’s) Building Technologies Office (BTO) is proud to leverage the expertise of its national laboratories to accelerate the development of emerging building technologies and address barriers to their commercialization by cost-sharing collaborative research, development, and demonstration (RD&D) projects.
Through this lab cooperative research and development agreement (CRADA) call, up to $8.5 million in DOE funding is available for collaborative projects that involve one or more national laboratories and non-lab partners. Only national laboratories are eligible to submit an application.
BTO seeks projects that accelerate the development and commercialization of promising low-carbon building materials, processes, and technologies in a range of research areas.
Up to $8.5 million in DOE funding is available for collaborative projects across six priority areas of interest:
- Automated and Continual Commissioning of Building Energy Management Systems
- Advancing Optimization-Based Autonomous Building Energy Management
- Envelope Technologies
- Building Construction Materials with Lower Embodied Energy/Carbon
- High-Performance Insulation Materials that Decrease Overall Retrofit Costs
- Non-Destructive/Disruptive Diagnostic Tools for Building Envelopes
- Fast Onsite Installation, Remediation, or Repair of Continuous Heat, Air, and Moisture Control Layers
- Optimized Integration of the Building Envelope, Heating, Ventilating, and Air Conditioning (HVAC), and Electrical Grid
- Advanced Water Heating Technologies and Energy Efficient Appliances
- Advanced Water Heating Technologies for Residential Building Energy Efficiency
- Lower Emission Heat Pump Water Heater
- Energy-Efficient Appliances
- Building Electric Appliances, Devices, and Systems (BEADS)
- The New Standby: Addressing Rising Energy Consumption from Always-on Connected Devices
- Advancing Behind-the-Meter Hardware to Utilize Direct Current (DC) Power in Buildings
- Scale-Up and Manufacturing of Emerging Building Technologies
To learn more about this opportunity, visit the BTO CRADA call web page and register now for the BTO CRADA call informational webinar on April 22, 2021 at 3 p.m. ET.