Jersey City, New Jersey, Site map.

Background

The Jersey City, New Jersey, Site was remediated under the Formerly Utilized Sites Remedial Action Program (FUSRAP). FUSRAP was established in 1974 to remediate sites where radioactive contamination remained from Manhattan Project and early U.S. Atomic Energy Commission operations.

History

The Kellex Corporation was formed in 1943 to conduct engineering research in gaseous diffusion for uranium enrichment for the Manhattan Engineer District and the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission. From 1943 to 1953, site activities focused on fuel reprocessing and component testing with uranium hexafluoride, development of a solvent extraction process for the recovery of uranium, gas decontamination studies, and decontamination of waste streams.

DOE conducted a radiological survey of the site in 1977 and remediated radioactive contamination at the site between 1979 and 1983. DOE certified that the site complied with applicable cleanup criteria in 1983 and, with State of New Jersey concurrence, released the property for unrestricted use.

Responsibility for the site transitioned from DOE’s Office of Environmental Management to its Office of Legacy Management (LM) in 2004. A number of commercial and residential buildings have since been built on the grounds.

Final Conditions

A shopping center, a supermarket  and various other commercial or residential buildings are located on the site. No monitoring, maintenance , or site inspections are required for the Jersey City site. LM’s long-term stewardship responsibilities consist of managing FUSRAP site records and responding to stakeholder inquiries.

For more information about the Jersey City FUSRAP Site, view the fact sheet.

Video Url
Video courtesy of the Department of Energy Office of Legacy Management