The Hamilton, Ohio, Site was remediated under the Formerly Utilized Sites Remedial Action Program (FUSRAP). FUSRAP was established in 1974 to remediate sites where radioactive contamination remained from Manhattan Project and early U.S. Atomic Energy Commission operations.
Between 1943 to 1951, the Herring-Hall-Marvin Safe Company machined and shaped uranium metal for use by the Manhattan Engineer District and the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission in production reactors.
After radiological surveys in 1988, 1989, and 1993, DOE designated the Hamilton Site for remediation under FUSRAP. DOE remediated areas of contamination identified on surfaces and in floor drains in the interior of the building in 1994 and 1995. DOE certified that the site complied with applicable cleanup criteria and standards in 1996 and released the property for unrestricted use. The site was then vacant for a number of years before a gas station and convenient store was built on the southwest portion in 2015.
No supplemental limits or institutional controls are in effect at the privately-owned site, and DOE does not require on-site monitoring or surveillance. Office of Legacy Management long-term stewardship responsibilities consist of managing FUSRAP site records and responding to stakeholder inquiries.
For more information about the Hamilton FUSRAP Site, view the fact sheet.