The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) today released a request for proposals (RFP) solicitation for the implementation of energy savings performance contracts (ESPCs) at U.S. federal government sites worldwide. The intent is to award indefinite delivery, indefinite quantity (IDIQ) contracts to multiple vendors with a total contract ceiling of $55 billion. DOE is committed to full and open competition with a reservation of up to two awards for small business.
ESPCs help federal agencies meet energy efficiency, renewable energy, water conservation, and emissions reduction goals by streamlining contract funding for energy management projects. Previous ESPC IDIQ contracts administered by DOE have resulted in the installation of $3.4 billion in energy conservation measures at federal sites, reducing federal energy consumption by 22.5 trillion Btu per year and thereby avoiding 2.4 million tons in greenhouse gas emissions per year. The capital investment is estimated to have created 27,000 jobs in the engineering, manufacturing, and technical sectors.
Other benefits of ESPCs include:
- Access to private-sector expertise in energy efficiency, renewable energy, water conservation, and emissions reduction
- Built-in incentives for energy service companies (ESCO) to provide high-quality equipment, timely services, and thorough project commissioning
- Infrastructure improvements to enhance mission support
- Healthier and safer working and living environments
- Flexible practical contract and procurement processes
- Objective technical support through the Federal Energy Management Program
- Smart project management that ensures building efficiency improvements and new equipment without upfront capital costs.
DOE’s current IDIQ contract was awarded competitively to 16 firms as a Firm Fixed Price IDIQ contract with a five-year base and two three-year option periods. Competing companies must be on the DOE ESCO Qualified List.
The solicitation can be accessed at the Government Acquisition and Grants Portal, at www.fedconnect.net, and clicking on "Search Public Opportunities Only," selecting by "Reference Number," and entering "DE-SOL-0006380."