The safe management and disposition of waste is a critical part of EM’s mission. Key areas of the waste management and disposition:
Waste Disposition News
EM workers at the Savannah River Site (SRS) are setting the stage to accelerate the removal and disposal of plutonium from South Carolina.
April 6, 2021Learn More
Crews are working to finish construction of a dedicated road at EM’s Portsmouth Site that will be used to haul demolition material to the new On-Site Waste Disposal Facility (OSWDF).
March 30, 2021Learn More
EM’s annual Mission and Priorities list sets a clear path to success across the DOE complex, site managers said last week at the Waste Management Symposia 2021.
March 17, 2021Learn More
- Waste Information Management System (WIMS) provided by Florida International University provides DOE with waste forecast data.
- Manifest Information Management System is used to monitor the management of commercial low-level radioactive waste.
- National Directory of Brokers and Processors Directory is intended for use by compacts, states, federal agencies and others to provide information to generators seeking to treat, process and otherwise manage their waste in preparation for ultimate disposal.
- The Central Internet Database (CID) resulted from the implementation of the December 12, 1998 Programmatic Environmental Impact Statement Settlement Agreement between DOE and the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC et. al. v. Richardson, No.97-936(SS)(AK)).
- Greater-than-Class C Low-Level Radioactive Waste (GTCC LLW)
- Low-Level Waste Disposal Facility Federal Review Group (LFRG)