The Analytical Services Program (ASP) provides environmental management related services and products to DOE Program Offices and field element sites, including the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA), and their contractors, in support of environmental regulatory compliance programs, remediation and clean-up efforts, and waste management. Three components of ASP:
- DOE Consolidated Audit Program (DOECAP) Managed by the Office of Sustainable Environmental Stewardship (AU-21). DOECAP provides for the conduct of assessments of commercial environmental analytical laboratories called the DOECAP-Accreditation Program (DOECAP-AP). Audits are conducted at commercial waste treatment, storage, and disposal facilities (TSDFs) used by DOE entities. Audits/assessments are designed to assure the laboratories and TSDFs are operating in compliance with applicable Federal, State and local environmental, safety and health, and transportation regulations. More information on the 2019 activities can be found below.
- Mixed Analyte Performance Evaluation Program (MAPEP) Managed by the Radiological Environmental Sciences Laboratory (RESL), MAPEP provides for the conduct of semi-annual performance testing of laboratories managed by the DOE, other Federal agencies, and commercial analytical laboratories to determine capability and accuracy for the measurement of radiological and stable inorganics (i.e., mixed analytes) in blind samples.
- Systematic Planning and Data Assessment Tools Program - Visual Sample Plan (VSP) Managed by Pacific Northwest National Laboratory. VSP is a multi-agency sponsored sampling design and statistical assessment toolkit that provides software to support the development of optimal sampling plans. It determines the number and location of samples while identifying the nature and extent of environmental contamination. VSP also provides a statistical analysis of the sampling results to support decision-making. VSP provides a real-time systematic planning tool that assists in ensuring defensible sampling and statistical analysis for DOE entities. VSP is available for free download at http://vsp.pnnl.gov.
The DOECAP seeks to reduce DOE’s environmental program management risk by assisting DOE Program Offices and contractors through onsite TSDF audits and laboratory accreditation. The DOECAP-Accreditation Program (DOECAP-AP) is a means with which DOE sites can assure that a contracted commercial laboratory is fully capable of providing accurate data analysis. The accreditation program requires third-party assessments which assure that environmental sample analysis is performed using proven methods, provide valid, reliable and defensible data, and are managing sample waste streams responsibly. The TSDF audit program conducts audits at commercial TSD facilities while representing the DOE complex to evauate the audited facility’s ability to treat, store and dispose of DOE waste in a manner which is protective of human health and the environment. DOE entities can use the DOECAP audits and assessments to satisfy DOE requirements contained DOE Order 435.1, Radioactive Waste Management, and DOE Order 414.1D, Quality Assurance. TSDF audit results also support numerous contractor evaluation needs to include approved supplier list evaluations, contract oversight, and DOE site-specific National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) reviews.
In addition, the DOECAP provides cost savings and efficiency of operations across the Department by conducting assessments and audits that would otherwise be required to be conducted and developed by each DOE entity as part of their environmental management and remediation programs.
DOECAP TSDF audits assess the management systems and operational activities to verify the facility’s ability to meet the applicable requirements for storing, handling, transporting, processing, and final disposition of DOE waste and material as outlined in DOE Order 435.1, Radioactive Waste Management, and are conducted in accordance with all applicable regulations to support the requirements in DOE Order 414.1D, Quality Assurance, towards achieving quality work thorough performance and quality improvement which includes rigorous assessments and effective corrective actions to address deficiencies. The TSDFs audit teams are comprised of DOE Federal and contractor subject matter experts (SME) from throughout the Department.
DOECAP-AP assessments are conducted by one of three DOECAP approved third-party accreditation bodies (ABs) and are assessed to the most recent version of the Department of Defense/Department of Energy (DoD/DOE) Quality Systems Manual (QSM).
DOECAP approved Accreditation Bodies are U.S.-based signatories to the International Laboratory Accreditation Cooperation (ILAC) Mutual Recognition Arrangement (MRA). The Accreditation Bodies must continue to meet program requirements, including submission of a documented management system conforming to ISO/IEC 17011, acceptance of specific Conditions and Criteria for Recognition, and completion of assessor training as required. Review the list of DOECAP-AP Frequently Asked Questions.
2019 Program Accomplishments:
DOECAP TSDF Audits
In FY 2019, a total of seven TSDF audits and final reports were issued, for the following facilities:
- Diversified Scientific Services, Inc., Kingston, TN
- EnergySolutions, LLC, Clive, UT
- EnergySolutions, LLC, Oak Ridge, TN
- Perma-Fix of Florida, Inc., Gainesville, FL
- Perma-Fix Northwest, Inc., Richland, WA
- Unitech Services Group, TN
- Waste Control Specialists LLC, Andrews, TX
DOECAP-AP Laboratory Assessments
Calendar year (CY) 2019 had a total of 23 participating environmental analytical laboratories. Third-party assessments, and final reports were provided for the following commercial laboratories:
- BC Laboratories, Inc. – Bakersville, CA
- Brooks Applied Laboratories, Bothell, WA
- Enthalpy Analytical (Curtis & Tompkins), Berkeley, CA
- ALS Laboratory Group - Salt Lake City, UT
- ALS Laboratory Group – Fort Collins, CO
- Materials and Chemistry Lab, Oakridge, TN
- ARS International, LLC, Baton Rouge, LA
- Shealy Environmental Services, West Columbia, SC
- Eberline Analytical Corp., Oakridge, TN
- GEL Laboratories, LLC, Charleston, SC
- Eurofins Frontier Global, Bothell, WA (closeout)
- TestAmerica Inc. – Washington, WA (closeout)
- Shealy Environmental Services, West Columbia, SC
- Eurofins TestAmerica Inc. - Sacramento, CA
- Eurofins TestAmerica Inc. - Knoxville, TN
- TestAmerica – St. Louis, MO
- Southwest Research Institute, San Antonio, TX
- EMSL Analytical, Inc. – Cinnaminson, NJ
- Pace Analytical Services – TN
- Agriculture & Priority Pollutants Laboratory, Clovis, CA
- TestAmerica Inc. – Arvada/Denver, CO
- RJ Lee Group - CBAL – Pasco, WA
- ALS Laboratory Group – Cincinnati, OH (DOECAP focused)
The reports of the individual audits and assessments are available by direct request provided to the ASP Program Manager.