The Energy Employees Occupational Illness Compensation Program Act (EEOICPA) was enacted in October 2000.
Part B of the EEOICPA, effective on July 31, 2001, compensates current or former employees (or their survivors) of the Department of Energy (DOE), its predecessor agencies, and certain of its vendors, contractors and subcontractors, who were diagnosed with a radiogenic cancer, chronic beryllium disease, beryllium sensitivity, or chronic silicosis, as a result of exposure to radiation, beryllium, or silica while employed at covered facilities.
Part E of the EEOICPA (enacted October 28, 2004) compensates DOE contractor and subcontractor employees, eligible survivors of such employees, and uranium miners, millers, and ore transporters as defined by RECA Section 5, for any occupational illnesses that are causally linked to toxic exposures in the DOE or mining work environment.
PARTNER AGENCIES ROLES
US Department of Labor (DOL)
- DOL is responsible for the adjudication of issues pertaining to all claims for benefits under the EEOICPA.
- The DOL is supported in its role by the DOE, the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), and the Department of Justice (DOJ).
- DOL Resource and Contact Information
- Call DOL Toll-Free 1-866-888-3322 or Email the Division of Energy Employees Occupational Illness Compensation (DEEOIC) for information and assistance
- EEOICPA Benefits – Visit DOL Energy Workers Program
- DOL Resource Centers are located around the country to provide information and assistance to the public with claim filing.
US Department of Energy (DOE)
- DOE provides worker and facility records and data to the DOL to help in their decision-making and in support of the administration of the EEOICPA.
- DOE also maintains the searchable Covered Facility Database. This database contains additional information pertaining to each of the facilities noted in the Federal Register, including years of activity and a general overview of what the facility did.
- DOE maintains a list of facilities covered under the EEOICPA. This list is published in the Federal Register and is periodically updated.
- Department of Energy Federal Register Notice: 69 FR 51825 - August 23, 2004
- Department of Energy Federal Register Notice: 70 FR 71815 - November 30, 2005
- Department of Energy Federal Register Notice: 72 FR 35448 - June 28, 2007
- Department of Energy Federal Register Notice: 74 FR 16191 - April 9, 2009
- Department of Energy Federal Register Notice: 75 FR 45608 - August 3, 2010
- Department of Energy Federal Register Notice: 76 FR 30695 - May 26, 2011
- Department of Energy Federal Register Notice: 77 FR 5781 - February 6, 2012
- Department of Energy Federal Register Notice: 78 FR 9678 - February 11, 2013
- Department of Energy Federal Register Notice: 80 FR 42094 - July 16, 2015
- Department of Energy Federal Register Notice: 81 FR 8060 - February 17, 2016
DOE CONTACT INFORMATION AND RELATED LINKS
U. S. Department of Energy
Office of Environment, Health, Safety and Security
Office of Worker Screening and Compensation Support (EHSS-14)
1000 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, D. C. 20585